Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
NOPE... God they used to be free to good home when I was a kid

Think I remeber paying about £10 for a Collie X when I was younger.

Fab dog, loved him to death.... my old Shep
Oh my, imagine getting a dog for that price today!!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Why is shedding such a big deal? I don't get it. If you 'love Goldens', get a Golden and clean more. I sweep up every day and it is hardly the end of the world.
Weren't they originally intended to be for people with allergies?

Bedlingtons don't shed.

P.S. Plenty of 'scruffy muts' around here lol
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Coo, you could cross one of them with a dachund and get an extra long dog!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by dog-nut View Post
YOU REALLY DON'T GET THE POINT OF THOSE WHO SAY THEY DON'T WANT TO CREATE A BREED.
TO CREATE A BREED (OF A STANDARD LOOK), YOU MUST DO A LARGE AMOUNT OF INBREEDING AT THE BEGINNING.
THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO THE BETTER DOODLE BREEDERS.
THEREFORE, THEY ONLY WANT TO FIX THE NON-SHED, SIZE AND TEMPERAMENT TRAITS.
THIS IS NOT ENOUGH TO BE ACCEPTED BY THE AKC IN THE USA, AND THAT IS OK WITH THE DOODLE PEOPLE.

AS FOR THE AUSTRALIAN DOODLES, I BELIEVE THE TOP BREEDERS HAVE FIXED THE NON-SHED TRAIT.
THEY HAVE GREAT DOGS, AND CHARGE ALOT FOR IT.

FOR THE THOSE WHO CAN'T FACE IT, I WILL REPEAT...THE PURPOSE OF A GOLDENDOODLE IS TO GIVE PEOPLE WHO LOVE GOLDENS THE POSSIBLIITY TO HAVE A LOW SHED DOG.
THAT IS AS GOOD A PURPOSE AS ALMOST ALL OTHER BREEDS (EXCEPT THE WORKING DOGS).
But this is exactly what they are trying to do...breed a dog that conforms to 'type' whether it is temperment or looks.
They do not need to use so much inbreeding as they are using already established breeds which conform to 'type'.

Looking at your boy - (who looks lovely by the way) he looks SO much like a poodle that had you posted pics of him I would have assumed he was a standard poodle.

I also do not see the point of going in for a low shed dog....grooming wise poodle types take as much time (if not more) to groom, and when the hair has to come off there is a lot of it - if you are sending him to a grooming parlour why not do that with a goldie and keep on top of it in between times.

Again....I really do not see the point - sorry.

However - my mother obviously does and informed me this evening that her next dog is going to be a Springer x poodle
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
But this is exactly what they are trying to do...breed a dog that conforms to 'type' whether it is temperment or looks.
They do not need to use so much inbreeding as they are using already established breeds which conform to 'type'.

Looking at your boy - (who looks lovely by the way) he looks SO much like a poodle that had you posted pics of him I would have assumed he was a standard poodle.

I also do not see the point of going in for a low shed dog....grooming wise poodle types take as much time (if not more) to groom, and when the hair has to come off there is a lot of it - if you are sending him to a grooming parlour why not do that with a goldie and keep on top of it in between times.

However - my mother obviously does and informed me this evening that her next dog is going to be a Springer x poodle
A Pooger or a Spoodle?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 06:21 PM
A springerdoodle

I have told her I will NOT be grooming it...
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 06:22 PM
A springerdoodle

I have told her I will NOT be grooming it...
that would be more of a nightmare for me then a Labrador cross poodle
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 06:40 PM

Exactly. Also, it is not desperately hard to keep control of the moulting with tools like the Furminator. Even regular brushing with a slicker brush every few days does the job.

I guess I have never understood the whole 'thing' surrounding non-moulting dogs. If the breed I wanted happened to be non-moulting I would consider it a bonus, but I certainly wouldn't make that the deciding factor when choosing a dog. For me, dealing with moulting is just another part of dog ownership. Sweeping and hoovering more regularly isn't exactly a bad thing.
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by dog-nut View Post
YOU REALLY DON'T GET THE POINT OF THOSE WHO SAY THEY DON'T WANT TO CREATE A BREED.
TO CREATE A BREED (OF A STANDARD LOOK), YOU MUST DO A LARGE AMOUNT OF INBREEDING AT THE BEGINNING.
THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO THE BETTER DOODLE BREEDERS.
THEREFORE, THEY ONLY WANT TO FIX THE NON-SHED, SIZE AND TEMPERAMENT TRAITS.
THIS IS NOT ENOUGH TO BE ACCEPTED BY THE AKC IN THE USA, AND THAT IS OK WITH THE DOODLE PEOPLE.

AS FOR THE AUSTRALIAN DOODLES, I BELIEVE THE TOP BREEDERS HAVE FIXED THE NON-SHED TRAIT.
THEY HAVE GREAT DOGS, AND CHARGE ALOT FOR IT.

FOR THE THOSE WHO CAN'T FACE IT, I WILL REPEAT...THE PURPOSE OF A GOLDENDOODLE IS TO GIVE PEOPLE WHO LOVE GOLDENS THE POSSIBLIITY TO HAVE A LOW SHED DOG.
THAT IS AS GOOD A PURPOSE AS ALMOST ALL OTHER BREEDS (EXCEPT THE WORKING DOGS).
Some of us do get it very well, Dog-nut. It's really just become not worth the waste in time to discuss this with those that believe their judgement criteria spawns from superior ethics and knowledge and therefore should be imposed on others . . . . that is unless you're in the mood to have some fun with an argument.

On Wed night at work a man came in, leaving his wife and goldendoodle waiting. I, of course, snuck out to have a looksee and a pet. For the 10 minutes I met her, what an incredible girl! The couple own the dog daycare in the town I work in. As I was oooing and aaaahhhing (because she was an absolute sweetheart) they were quick to tell me there was no guarantees on the non-shed quality. They also said (cuz I asked) both her parents had OFA and CERF paperwork. Obviously this was not an uninformed purchase. They were just coming home from the birthday party they were having for their dog with 35 of their best dog daycare friends.

Poodles don't do it for me either. I had a work buddy bring his three well-bred Standard Poodles out to my land to try to convince me - it just convinced me more that the Poodle is not a breed for me. My back yard neighbour also has a Toy Poodle that has come and shared time in my yard often over the last 8 years. All have had an edginess to their personality and an activity level that I do not like. Bombproof, calm and laid back are my highest rated qualities in a dog so this is obviously not a breed for me. Quite honestly, I despise the tightly curled coats as well (especially the feel, but the look as well). Wavy coats, which I have seen and now felt on doodles, I find tolerable though, and I have found with the mixbreeds that temperament edginess seems to be less sharp.

Personally, as I truly have disliked all the Poodles I have met, I would never gamble a Doodle, but I understand why others who would want to.

I've just never suffered the illusion that it is my place to involve and dictate my needs/wants/desires to others decisions. For that reason alone I will always argue the right of others to breed or buy mixbred dogs.
dog-nut
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Why is shedding such a big deal? I don't get it. If you 'love Goldens', get a Golden and clean more. I sweep up every day and it is hardly the end of the world.
My wife, 2 of my children, and me are moderately allergic to dogs.
We do not have any reaction to Ernie.

When you suffer from allergies, there is also a pychological issue with seeing the shedding hair.

Even if I wasn't allergic, I would prefer a low shed dog, if possible.
Page 17 of 30 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »