Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
Hi all, just a quick question once a dog is trained with a clicker, does this mean you have to have a clicker for life?
The reason i ask is that where i live I have seen people with dogs that are clicker trained that take no notice of the owner because they left the clicker at home, also if one person clicks all the dogs take notice. Which is not what you want.

No, it's definitely not what you want!

Put it like this, lots of top trainers who excel with their dogs train using clickers - none of them need to constantly carry a clicker. Reason being that the dogs have been trained correctly - the clicker is a tool for training, once the dog has learnt everything required correctly, and understands the cue or command, the clicker simply isn't needed

Dogs can be trained by their people with clickers quite close to each other - it just has to be done correctly...they soon get to understand when their owner is clicking with their clicker.

It sounds as if the owners you see out and about are bad clicker users, and not really clicker trainers...:smt002
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 08:49 AM
yup what she said ^ ! I have a bit more about clicker training on my webspace....

www.houndsathome.blogspot.com
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the reply Wysiwyg, i fully agree with you words, the trouble i find is how do you know a good trainer against one not so good. (results speak but you have to pay before you see them)I have seen advertised on the internet were you can get qualifcations as a dog trainer by doing an online course
All the best
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
Thanks for the reply Wysiwyg, i fully agree with you words, the trouble i find is how do you know a good trainer against one not so good. (results speak but you have to pay before you see them)I have seen advertised on the internet were you can get qualifcations as a dog trainer by doing an online course
All the best
Generally if you go to www.apdt.co.uk most should be competent and some will be very good indeed

Hey, you're in Norfolk, yes? Well Attila Szkukalek is fab with clicker
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2