Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 09:20 PM

Fed up of other dogs!

ARGH! I am soooooo fed up of other dogs at the moment.

People in my area seem so irresponsible, and my Jin is always an easy target.

Today, she and I were in the middle of the field and a collie with the lead still attached came and nipped her bum. It was not a bite, but a nip, to get her to move so he could herd her I think. She did not even look at him but he made her yelp. Owner said nothing upon retrieving her dog. -.-

Only last month, she was charged and tripped by a German Shepard, which was only stopped by me screaming at him and pushing him off. Again, she had not even looked at him.

When at shows, people seem oblivious to their dogs, keeping them on long leads even if they are grumpy. I leave as much space as possible but sometimes dogs lunge out without warning.

I am just so so so so fed up of other peoples dogs having a go at my dog.

Why wont they leave her alone? I am so scared some dog is going to do her damage some day.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 09:23 PM
** I also had a terrier attack her at a show before she did her KC Good Citizen test - the owner had brought her terrier over to say "Hello" and even admitted after the incident that she "can be a bit grumpy sometimes" >.<

Although she hasn't been badly damaged yet (but has a few small scars now), she has started to become fearful of new dogs, especially bigger ones.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Well you will have to be more vigilant and ensure that you block access to your dog from others.

So you need to be observant and prevent dogs from pouncing on her.

Just assume everyone else is an idiot.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 10:15 PM
I've begun teaching her a 'behind me' type behaviour where she goes behind me and peeks through my legs but I literally started today. Havent decided a verbal cue for it....any ideas?

She does walk pretty close to me when on the lead.

And I am having to start thinking everyones an idiot. If I had a penny for everytime they've excused themselves with "hes never done that before" or "hes usually friendly", I'd be well on my way to a new car. *sigh*

I think half the problem is that she does run and scream the moment they touch her, even if it didnt hurt. Can they tell she'll run?? My friends brave yorkie doesnt have any problems.....
michala
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2012, 10:25 PM
I don't think the other dogs are the issue hun, more the case of the people that own them, i have to big bullmastiffs, roxy is fine with other dogs but hagrid is a little funny, they are both fine off the lead but as i class myself as a responsible owner (or atleast hope i am) if i see other dogs in the distance i will call both mine back and place them back on the lead, all because i no my boy lol.
People nowadays, see dogs as dogs and don't seem to learn there likes and dislikes and assume that all dogs get on. Training for the owners should be mandatory.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 10:27 PM
I definately agree that its the owners and not the dogs themselves.

Someone said I should muzzle Jin so people avoid me.....
michala
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2012, 10:31 PM
why should jin be punished thats like me keeping my hagrid running loose and expecting every one to avoid him, putting a muzzle on her wouldn't stop her from getting biten
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by michala View Post
why should jin be punished thats like me keeping my hagrid running loose and expecting every one to avoid him, putting a muzzle on her wouldn't stop her from getting biten
Yeah, I know. But if Jin was muzzled they might cross roads to avoid me and call their dogs on lead just in case.

Not something I'd ever want though.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well you will have to be more vigilant and ensure that you block access to your dog from others.

So you need to be observant and prevent dogs from pouncing on her.

Just assume everyone else is an idiot.
What Smokey said ^^
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 11:27 PM
The muzzle wouldn't work in respect of off-lead dogs charging over. It would very likely make her feel more insecure.

I don't buy the 'not done anything like it before', 'he only wants to play' and I don't even buy the 'it's ok my dog is friendly'. Unfortunately, many owners are irresponsible.

I had a dog come over the other day (friendly lad fortunately) and the owner called him back. He ignored her call to which she said 'I hope your dog bites him, it'll teach him a lesson'. I went ballistic and replied 'and what do you think that would teach my dog'?

Fortunately, my dog is small so if I see the other dog is likely to be a problem, I pick her up. I shouldn't have to, of course, but I'm really pleased that I can.

When I had my collie, I taught him to go behind (I used 'behind' as the cue) so that I could put myself between him and another approaching dog. He had very bad hips and even a friendly greeting could hurt, plus he justifiably didn't want his bum sniffed as that was the area that ached.

I think teaching people in general some courtesy and manners would be a big help as both seem sadly lacking
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >