Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-09-2011, 11:28 AM

Feeding a 6 week old giant breed pup

Hi, I am receiving 2 little pups in a few days and they are only 6 weeks old. they are spanish mastins. Should I give them milk or is that a no-no? dry food softened with lukewarm water? or even porridge? I know I should feed them 4 times a day for a while but wondered if they needed any supplements as well... they are going to be giants and I can not remember what I gave my pups before, many years ago.. thanks for any help... over here in Spain, the vets all say that just dry food is plenty.. they advice you not to mix in any tinned wet food at all EVER!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by mastines33 View Post
Hi, I am receiving 2 little pups in a few days and they are only 6 weeks old. they are spanish mastins. Should I give them milk or is that a no-no? dry food softened with lukewarm water? or even porridge? I know I should feed them 4 times a day for a while but wondered if they needed any supplements as well... they are going to be giants and I can not remember what I gave my pups before, many years ago.. thanks for any help... over here in Spain, the vets all say that just dry food is plenty.. they advice you not to mix in any tinned wet food at all EVER!
Why so young ?
Are they not happy with the mum?
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Why so young ?
Are they not happy with the mum?
i'm quessing rescue's?

at 6 weeks they don;'t need mum.

goats milk if you can get it.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Dogs can't usually tolerate cow's milk. They should be fine with just dry kibble but you can mix it with some warm water to start with if they don't seem keen. They shouldn't need any supplements if you have a good quality food.
alex612
New Member!
Female 

15-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Hi,

What about Arden Garnge Weaning Puppy? They recommend soaking the food with warm water and mixing with a fork to form a smooth porridge. More warm water may need to be added to achieve just the right consistency for lapping.

All the best,

Ralph & Athos the dogs
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Mum is not feeding them anymore but I have read up about it and yes, I agree, good quality kibble mixed with water ..... never heard of Arden garnge, not sure if it is available in Spain... will go and see the vet tomorrow too and see what he says.. but as I mentioned before.. they swear by just dry kibble... might be because of the problem with the flies over here.. thank you for your help though.... will keep you informed and wil be posting pictures as soon as they are here.. lots of hugs x
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2011, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by mastines33 View Post
Mum is not feeding them anymore but I have read up about it and yes, I agree, good quality kibble mixed with water ..... never heard of Arden garnge, not sure if it is available in Spain... will go and see the vet tomorrow too and see what he says.. but as I mentioned before.. they swear by just dry kibble... might be because of the problem with the flies over here.. thank you for your help though.... will keep you informed and wil be posting pictures as soon as they are here.. lots of hugs x
i'd be mashing kibble for puppies of that age
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-09-2011, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by rough View Post
i'm quessing rescue's?

at 6 weeks they don;'t need mum.

goats milk if you can get it.
The question being, a breeder that takes pups away from the litter/mum at 6 weeks is one you should be weary about.

They may not need mum as far as "her feeding them" , but they sure do need mum and siblings for a few weeks yet, for much more than simply feeding.

The breeder of this litter should be the one to seek advice on what she is weaning them on.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-09-2011, 12:39 PM
I know they are still very young but at least I get 2 of them from the same litter and just spoken to my vet who said they will be fine.. he's going to see them when they arrive tomorrow.. he adviced royal canin giant breed puppy food so that's what I'll do... they going to gets lots of hugs, snugs and cuddles here and my last girl no doubt will take them under her wing..... am soooo looking forward to them and thanks for all your comments... x
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The question being, a breeder that takes pups away from the litter/mum at 6 weeks is one you should be weary about.

They may not need mum as far as "her feeding them" , but they sure do need mum and siblings for a few weeks yet, for much more than simply feeding.

The breeder of this litter should be the one to seek advice on what she is weaning them on.
we don't know the reasons so we can't speculate maybe as i've said before they are rescue..

Pups of 6 weeks can manage without mum in fact some bitches don't want to know them at all.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »