View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 09:35 PM

Two or more dogs - do you ever walk them seperately ?

For those who have two or more dogs.

I generally walk the boys together, although I do sometimes walk them seperately. As they are young and still in training mode I find it difficult to give commands to one but not the other. i.e one may sit at the roadside and the other won't (Harvey was taught to stand - as he was going to be shown).

Have you any tips, or should I just continue as I am ?
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 09:37 PM
I walk my 3 together, Mollie on one side, and Gypsy & Tara on a split lead on the other side...
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 09:38 PM
I just find when I get Harvey to sit, Archie has come up from sit!!!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Round the block they go seperately as totally different styles of walking.... Inca would stay out as long as possible and sniff every sniff.... Tonto has done all his tiddles before we reach the end of the road and once round the corner he's on full stretch to get home, he doesn't like walking any further.

For their proper walks in the forest or on the beach etc, then together.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 09:46 PM
i mostly walk seperate as 5 is a lot to control ....Sophie and India like to run whilst pippa is a steady walker
Bonnie likes to sniff rahter than walk

i would give them a little time walking seperatly to bring the best out in both .....harvey will find it hard to sit as he was never taught to as a puppy where as Archie probably was trained that way ..

training walks are good fun i think it brings out the best in each of them ...then runs on the downs can be shared to together x
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 09:49 PM
I have a CKCS and a SBT x AB. I walk them seperatly in the mornings as my CKCS only likes short walks and my SBT likes long energetic walks. I walk them together in the evenings though.

At the road I have always taught mine to 'stay' rather than sit, as sit is a command i use for treats. Mine get told to sit and give me their paw for a treat, so at the road side its 'stay' as when i dont want them to go any further i tell them stay ( i.e if im answering the front door i will tell them to stay at the living room doorway )
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Mine are walked together but somedays Skye is walked on her own so i can do some one on one work with her.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 09:52 PM
I have 2 huge NI dogs and take the youngest for teaching to the school gates. The mother I can take anywhere.
Took them both out today and got told by a passer by how well behaved they were. That was a great reward as they are very norty normally when together.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 09:53 PM
both of mine get walked together unless 1 is ill or in the vets,i found my older dog helped the younger one to learn but i do think training 1 on 1 is better good luck with it
both of mine are walked on a coupler and neither pull me thankfully as i walk with crutches
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2006, 09:55 PM
All ours get off lead play once a day and we take it in turns to take them out seperately once a day for 20min on lead walk...... it does pay to walk them seperately as they dont depend on one another....

We found walking them all together ok but when the time came to take one to a show alone they suffered and were very shy without the back up........
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >