Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 04:19 PM

PC help needed, pc not booting up properly

dougies pc at home is not booting up properly its only starting in safe mode,

nero who built the pc for me told me to put the windows xp disk in and this should sort it, but nothing happend,

I just wondered if anyone could tell me what to do? or does it need to go to the pc hospital?

spent the whole damn weekend reading threads via the playstation, its a nightmare,

I cant stand doing that again next weekend,
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Have you installed any new drivers recently? Could be that. There are ways to go back to a last known good point/restore point etc. You'll have to Google as I know little about XP and that's too much.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
Have you installed any new drivers recently? Could be that. There are ways to go back to a last known good point/restore point etc. You'll have to Google as I know little about XP and that's too much.
no new drivers that im aware of, that said dougie and gordon could have done anything,

I did try a system restore but no luck,

it wont boot up from the last good restore point,
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Aw Shona I had a whole heap of probs with my PC recently and it turned out that its decided it doesn't like any USB attached to it it just won't boot up. If I remove all USB connectors it works away fine but as soon as I plug one in thats attached to anything(my phone, my mp3, my camera) it just sticks two fingers up and won't boot

But it might be worth removing any usb attachments andd trying to start it and see if that works...it works for me ..but not much good if you want to upload photos or download music LOL
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 06:02 PM
I know this is a long-shot - but has anyone left a floppy disk in the drive? If so, it won`t boot.
forget that - it wouldn`t get to safe mode either - sorry.
I usually scream for my 2 techie sons but it`s a bit far to send them. Go find a geek!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Aw Shona I had a whole heap of probs with my PC recently and it turned out that its decided it doesn't like any USB attached to it it just won't boot up. If I remove all USB connectors it works away fine but as soon as I plug one in thats attached to anything(my phone, my mp3, my camera) it just sticks two fingers up and won't boot

But it might be worth removing any usb attachments andd trying to start it and see if that works...it works for me ..but not much good if you want to upload photos or download music LOL
thanks hun will try that, it may be that gordon has done somit to it and not let on, so will unplug all fingeymabobs then try

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I know this is a long-shot - but has anyone left a floppy disk in the drive? If so, it won`t boot.
forget that - it wouldn`t get to safe mode either - sorry.
I usually scream for my 2 techie sons but it`s a bit far to send them. Go find a geek!
lol not that many geeks round my way, numptys yes, neds yup, but anyone with a brain you would be hard pushed to find lmao
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
nero who built the pc for me told me to put the windows xp disk in and this should sort it, but nothing happend
Neros right as long as your pc checks the DVD/CD drive first as the first boot device if it is not configured to check the DVD/ CD first it will just move onto what is the first boot device IE your hard drive.

To change the boot order you need to get into your BIOS Nero will tell you how to get into that its easy enough and not complicated.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Oh its a nightmare when they go funny!!
Mine has the problem with USB and also something funny with the firewall
Computer runs totaly fine if I remove all USB (except for the priner - it likes that) and unplug the internet

One thing I did find a while back, my BT had given me a new firewall and virus protection so I removed all the old one.
A while later my computer was really playing up - took ages for me to find
In its updated Microsoft in its wisdom had added another firewall and they were fighting with each other

Unplug everything - internet and USB's
Use an older restore point
Have a good look for any new programmes that you didnt put there
run defrag and disk cleanup if you can, deep scan the system
Pray
Plug one thing back in at a time

Or
Hold PC in both hands, chuck out the window ;D
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 01:00 PM
lol thanks guys, I will have a go at whats been sugested,

if all else fails, I with hold with both hands and chuck out window lol

ETA: should I delete the cookies on the pc?
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi Shona

Been reading this thread.

Noted you could start up at least in Safe mode.

Here is my suggestion. If you can start in safe mode - you should be able to access a USB stick - or an external memory.

That being the case - would start up the machine - and copy any files that you want to keep onto a USB stick or memory.

If then you have a XP installation disc - put that in the CD drive and do a full re-install of XP. That should format the drive prior to reinstalling your operating system.

If you want any more advice you could PM me. We don't live to distant from each other.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >