Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loveabull
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2006, 08:09 PM

How to teach stay command ?

I have a 15 month old Staffie which iv'e owned for 6 months. I have taught her sit, down and recall but im struggling with stay. I have trained her the other commands using treats, when I try to get her to stay I take a slight step back and she moves forward. I keep trying and she knows I want her to do something after awhile she try's sitting, then down, then she rolls over, then she sits. Bless her she try's every command she knows
Anyone advice would be appreciated xx
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Hi
I taught it firstly on lead
bear with me here....
with the dog in the sit and a training lead ( or rope ) attached ...hold the lead in your left hand ...give the command 'stay' in a firmish ( but not a yell ) voice ..and re-inforce it with a hand signal (right hand) ..I use the palm of my hand ( like a 'stop' sign ) as you do that take a step back and let the lead slip through your hand and say 'staaaayyyyy'...step forward ...and praise and treat
when you think you're ok with a step back..lengthen the 'staaaaaaaaaaaayy' and gradually increase the steps back untill you drop the lead and so-on and so forth ...also alternate between a step back and a step to the side and walk around your dog (they are more liable to break when you go behind so be ready to re-inforce it)
I think a stay is a hard one cos the dog wants to be with you so it is a small steps at a time one
I was always told not to look your dog in the eye when on a stay -look between the ears
hth ..and hope it makes sense...I know what I mean lol
loveabull
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2006, 08:57 PM
I know exactly what you mean. I will attempt tomorrow, thanks for your help xx
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 08:57 PM
I agree with the last post- you have to start with planting yourself on the floor right next to your dog when you start teaching stay- gradually increase the time as u move away-
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2006, 05:50 PM
I pretty much agree with all thats been said, just had something to add though, I usually start with taking a step in front and then facing the dog however with some dogs....usually timid or less confident dogs or overly playful ones (boisterous) its sometimes easier to start at the side but while your saying stay keep your feet 'obviously' moving (kinda like your still walking but on the spot).....if you are standing still either at the side or at the front then as soon as you go to take a step the dog will want to move....
laura1
New Member!
Female 

17-08-2006, 06:02 PM
I have been teaching minty 18 months this sat to sit and wait,I put my palm up and tell him to wait,I walk away with my hand up but as soon as I drop my hand he comes to me should I forget about the hand?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2006, 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by laura1
I have been teaching minty 18 months this sat to sit and wait,I put my palm up and tell him to wait,I walk away with my hand up but as soon as I drop my hand he comes to me should I forget about the hand?
It is very useful to have both a stay command and a stay signal.

When first starting to teach the stay return to the dog with your hand still in the stay position. Once he has learned to assosiate to behaviour with the signal you will need to use the signal only as you are about to leave him.

Take it very slowly by building up the distance and the time very gradually. When a dog breaks a stay it is usually because the handler has gone too far away from the dog or left the dog for too long a time.

If you increase the distance one step at a time and increase the time by a few seconds you will be setting your dog up to succeed

Always increase time before distance and while he is learning reward and praise each successful stay, remembering to give him his reward before you release him to move.
MissyPink
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
It is very useful to have both a stay command and a stay signal.

When first starting to teach the stay return to the dog with your hand still in the stay position. Once he has learned to assosiate to behaviour with the signal you will need to use the signal only as you are about to leave him.

Take it very slowly by building up the distance and the time very gradually. When a dog breaks a stay it is usually because the handler has gone too far away from the dog or left the dog for too long a time.

If you increase the distance one step at a time and increase the time by a few seconds you will be setting your dog up to succeed

Always increase time before distance and while he is learning reward and praise each successful stay, remembering to give him his reward before you release him to move.
I agree. I have a 4 month old SBT, and i've been taking her to puppy classes. We were taught how to get the pups to stay. First of all, get Minty to sit opposite u and as he sits command him to stay and show the palm of your hand as the command signal. As soon as you've put this command to him, prise him excessively and give him a treat. Gradually you'll be able to take a couple of steps away from Minty and he'll stay (hopefully!!!).

I've been doing this with Mily everyday for 5 mins and she has learnt the comman already!!!

Good luck!!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by MissyPink
I agree. First of all, get Minty to sit opposite u and as he sits command him to stay and show the palm of your hand as the command signal.
It is usual to start teaching the dog the 'stay' when it is sitting beside you in heel position. When the dog is in this position give the command and signal and step away with the leg that is furtherest from the dog, i.e. if the dog is on your left step away with the right leg. If you step away with the leg closest to the dog this may encourage it to go forward with you

You can practice this stationary to start with. Give your dog the command & signal and then move the leg that is not closest to the dog. This will accustom the dog to stay while that leg/foot is moving about.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2006, 12:05 PM
I've never taught a stay or wait command(long story to do with a badly treated dog I trained back in 1964)

I teach a sit that means sit until I tell you do do something else & the same with the down & stand(although the stand isn't necessary)

Once my puppy understands the sit/down command I start training "stays"
First I stand with my pup in the heel position in either the sit or down(on my left)& move just my right leg a pace to the side repeating sit/down several times as appropriate.I count to 10 then return tio him When my puppy is relaxed with that I repeat moving my left leg after my right so I stand a pace to the right of my puppy repeating sit/down several times again & staying away from him for 10 seconds. Again when my puppy has grasped that Then I move my right leg one pace away, then my left & then my right on pace forward & stand side on to my puppy giving the appropriate commands several times. When the puppy has grasped this I then repeat & end up moving my left leg next to my right leg & repeat the commands.

Once I have got to be able to stand once pace in front of my puppy sideways on I gradually increase the distance one pace at a time until I can leave him the equivalent of an Obedience show ring away from me(minimum of 20 feet) & then I statrt to increase the time

If at any stage he gets confused or breaks the position i got back to the distance away two moves before

I always treat(with food or a toy)for every completed "stay"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >