Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
It is nothing to do with Muslims liking or not liking dogs, if a dogs saliva comes into contact with their body they have to go through a complex cleansing process. I live part of the week in a house containing Brunei and Nigerian Muslim girls who would love to cuddle Amy but are forbidden by their culture from doing so..
That's really interesting! you learn something new every day!
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2006, 08:16 AM
I'm glad that some people make the effort to learn about, and take account of the many cultures that make this country so rich. I particularly admire Ailsa's sentiment of live and let live.

But, AlbionLass, while your new neighbours may well be sozzled, this really has nothing to do with the fact that they're Irish. Being Irish myself, I am rather offended at the implication!
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by duboing
I'm glad that some people make the effort to learn about, and take account of the many cultures that make this country so rich. I particularly admire Ailsa's sentiment of live and let live.

But, AlbionLass, while your new neighbours may well be sozzled, this really has nothing to do with the fact that they're Irish. Being Irish myself, I am rather offended at the implication!

I agree, the fact that they're Irish is purely coincidental I'm sure, please don't misunderstand me. I'm not a bigot, I hate everyone.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Well, as long as you're not singling anybody out...
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by KatieB_23
That's really interesting! you learn something new every day!
It's sad that frequently the actions of those from other cultures can be misunderstood creating ill feeling . In most instances politeness is met with politeness and if asked people will be happy to give an explanation as to why they react as they do.

I think the cleansing thing varies slightly from one group of Muslims to another, I was once asked to provide a washing up bowl for Yasmin a sweet little Thai Muslim girl. I asked how big and what was it for and almost apologetically she told me it was to collect soil for cleansing following contact with dog saliva.

The ritual cleansing involved first washing in soil, then in water 7 times. If I had to go through this processes all the time I might think twice about touching a dog. The Muslim girls respect the fact I have a dog and that she comes to work with me, this can make their life difficult but not one of them has ever complained, they are far to polite for that.

There is good and bad in all cultures, I have to admit when it comes to politeness, having respect for others and good behaviour the Muslim girls are hard to match.
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Well, as long as you're not singling anybody out...
Not at all, I'm English through and through and I'm as big a drunken old lush as anyone.
strawboss
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by bens mum
he was good, didnt get panicy at all. but he managed to upset some muslims that where on the bus, sorry but tough. my dog goes where ever i want to take him. one woman was screaming all cause ben walked past her, sorry he was being good, he was on a lead and under control. if they dont like get off the bus n wait for the next one.
We're not allowed dogs on buses in Canada,you are all fortunate, last week my truck broke down and was going to be a while & the dog was with me so a bus was out of the question...called a cab & the first didn't allow dogs so had to wait for a second one
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2006, 11:39 AM

awww....ta!
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by strawboss
We're not allowed dogs on buses in Canada,you are all fortunate, last week my truck broke down and was going to be a while & the dog was with me so a bus was out of the question...called a cab & the first didn't allow dogs so had to wait for a second one

That's awful, I would imagine that a higher proportion of people have their own transport in your country than in the UK due to the sheer scale of Canada, half my family live over there and they all seem to have a small car and an SUV, even the teens!

Are there groups in Canada fighting to improve the rights of dogs and their owners? I've heard you get a pretty hard time in some provinces and cities. I would love to hear about them if their are, I'm all for signing petitions etc.
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
It's sad that frequently the actions of those from other cultures can be misunderstood creating ill feeling .
That's SO true!
I'm not racist at all (apart from them bloomin Irish, if duboing's listening ) but I couldn't help being annoyed at the negative reactions of Muslims towards my ickle boy. Now that I know the reason behind it I totally sympathise - what a pain in the ar5e!

I will never again think "oh you idiot, whats the fuss about?!" but will make sure Gadget is kept away from them.

That only applies to Muslims though! If its anyone else, I will still think they are an idiot!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >