Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 06:59 PM

Need some Advice

Bella has an injury at the moment and is back at the vets tomorrow , I have to dress it and she is in some discomfort despite analgesia and squeals in pain. My advice though is about Tom who I couldnt pinpoint why he was not quite himself the last couple of days and then realised its a reaction to Bella squealing when she has her dressing done , he runs off cowering and goes and lays on our bed and doesnt want to come back down stairs, is this usual reaction with two dogs who live together and get on very well , is he frightened by Bellas squeals, its bad enough having Bells in pain and dealing with her dressing but to have poor Tom seeming so upset with as well.

Any advice would be welcome

Many Thanks
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 07:43 PM
I've never heard of this, but could you perhaps change her dressing in another room?

I know that Louie will lick Sadie's ears if she whimpers or whines..but never heard of a dog running off..
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Awww poor Tom. Can only say what SLB has mentioned would Tom be better off somewhere else in the house while you do Bellas dressing or take Bella somewhere else in the house to dress the leg.

Maybe Tom needs some ear muffs.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 08:08 PM
I know , he wasnt in the room but she squeals so loudly , got him back in the room with us now and on sofa with OH , I have been googling lots of stuff about dogs memories , many different theories , but mainly dogs learn by repitition so therefore training works as most of us will agree, short term memory not great ? .

mainly dogs

collects information
assesses the information
either retains it in its short-term or long-term memory
or forgets the incident entirely

maybe this reminds Tom of something embedded in his long term memory as he was not treated well in the past , who knows

just trying to make him feel safe and not to think he is in any danger.

Sure it will be ok in a few days when Bella is better , more worry than kids huh these beloved woofs if only they could talk !
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Anyone who could pop the other out for a walk during the dog torture?

Would lay money my Aunts little whippet would also have disappeared & hid....

Edit: Sure it'll settle down too
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
Anyone who could pop the other out for a walk during the dog torture?

Would lay money my Aunts little whippet would also have disappeared & hid....

Edit: Sure it'll settle down too
Good thinking , she is at the vets tmoro , so if more dressing required at home I will make sure he is out and about , you learn as you go with these things never experienced this before .
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 10:02 PM
We get mixed reations here.

Reah takes protective stance, almost standing over the one in pain...stiffened. a worrier/top dog thing maybe

Skye dives for cover on her bed

Tess hides up the garden.

When Bruce cut his foot and had to have dressing change, I had the above reactions everytime.

Not sure if its a memory thing or just a reaction to the pain the other dog is in...almost like your doing some kind of torture, we've had Skye since 8 weeks and she has no reason to react the way she does.

last advice good....Tom goes for a walk
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
We get mixed reations here.

Reah takes protective stance, almost standing over the one in pain...stiffened. a worrier/top dog thing maybe

Skye dives for cover on her bed

Tess hides up the garden.

When Bruce cut his foot and had to have dressing change, I had the above reactions everytime.

Not sure if its a memory thing or just a reaction to the pain the other dog is in...almost like your doing some kind of torture, we've had Skye since 8 weeks and she has no reason to react the way she does.

last advice good....Tom goes for a walk
Thanks Steph, I have been taking him out on his own too, he has had so much fun playing with his ball, no muzzle cos Bella is at home injured , I will get OH to take Tom out when I next to see to Bellas leg and not let him get scared and hope for some progess at the vets tomorrow.