Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 09:50 PM

Can food cause emotional problems?

Brownie seemed in super spirits today and his rashy hips are healing well. Seems like the food that caused the allergies also had him in a slump. Has anyone else experienced this? Food related behavior changes. Is it possible? It certainly seems that way to me. As his rash heals.. he seems to be getting back to his normal self. Maybe I'm just imagining things.

His latest video:

I am was very happy to see him doing better
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Yup I think it can, my last dog was allergic to something in commercial dog food and it gave him doggy type ADHD! He was an absolute nightmare, totally uncontrolable and just OTT

Within 2 weeks of having him on the raw diet he changed completley and was a joy to own - all his issues disappeared
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Oh look at him - he is such a lovely boy, and in good spirits as you say. He has had his troubles in the past hasn't he, but you have always got him through it all, and now you have solved another issue.

I do wonder if when a dog has allergies it makes them feel rotten.......I know that when Jimmi has a flare up if he eats something he shouldn't, then he tends to mope around and sleep even more than he usually does. When it clears up, he is bright eyed and cheerful once more.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Imagine eating something daily that keeps you in a permanent state of discomfort (the resultant rash), then imagine the discomfort easing.

Being permanently uncomfortable is bound to cause depression so the answer to your question is, yes, definitely!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Casomorphine is derived from the digestion of casein (milk protein and exorphine from the digestion of gluten (found in cereals) These substances, together with hormones, hormone like substances and pheromones are naturally present in many dog foods. All have been scientifically shown to alter normal dog behaviour. Casomorphine and exorphines can trigger behaviour in dogs not unlike giving them morphine or other opiates.

There has been a lot of research done on this with autistic children and they have found that they can interfere with the activity of neurotransmitters.

Dietary manipulation by excluding milk and gluten products may have have behavioural benefits as well as digestive ones!

So yes food can be mood altering.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Thanks everyone. It seemed like once he got off the allergy food and his rash started healing, he felt much much happier.. I'm glad I'm aware of that, I'll be much more careful from now on.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
...Seems like the food that caused the allergies also had him in a slump. Has anyone else experienced this? Food related behavior changes. Is it possible?
Yes - I`ve frequently seen it happen. One of my GSDs was a quiet, depressed girl for 2 years - then because she had hot spots I changed her to Burns. She becaame a different dog - active, playing, happier.
On the other hand it can work the other way - when I got Daisy she refused to eat quality kibble so I tried her on Bakers as an experiment (to see if that was what she was used to). It was - and her behaviour for the next 24 hours was little short of demonic.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Not food in this case but two years ago we thought Mollie was near the end she was slow, unhappy and off her food. Took her to the vet and they said yes she was just old. Changed vet and new vet took a growth off her eye lid that old vet had said was doing no harm and the change was instant and she was like a puppy again ! The misery of something touching her eye all the time was changing her completely I would guess in the same way being itchy or sore would with allergies.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Definately Skye had hair loss some time back, after a visit to the vets they said it was an allergy to fleas
I spent £84 pounds and the problems worsened till her rear was almost bald. Pat then said something about us changing her food and thats when he thought she was going down hill.........so we went back to her previous diet and on came the hair nice and thick plus she was visually alot happier in herself
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Glad he is feeling better
and oh yes I think food can cause big changes in some dogs
There is a cartain level of hyper ignoring owner unable to focus type dog that every time I have asked the owner what food they are fed and it is always bakers
not saying ALL dogs do bad on that food but it seems that quite a few dogs really cant cope with something in bakers and they get way better when switched

I also did see a behavioural difference in Ben when I switched him to raw, more focused energy, like he had more energy but could chill better and learn better too