Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pytels11
New Member!
Female 

22-02-2012, 03:18 PM

I Need Help On Breeding My Female Gsd!!

Hello! I have a female GSD who is almost 3 and we have been wanting to breed her the last year and a half. We tried with a male but she is very aggressive towards other dogs, she didnt want to be friends much less let him mount her. people have said try to muzzle her but i feel like more drastic measures are needed. It sounds bad but we really want pups and we feel like we need to hold her down while the deed is done. (sounds terrible i know) but what else can we do if she is unsociable?? we have taken her to dog training class when she was a pup and she was introduced to strange dogs when she was young, so why is she so mean to strange dogs? she is not aggressive what so ever at home!!! she isnt an aggressive dog shes the most loving dog you could know but she hates strange dogs. HELP WHAT CAN I TRY TO DO???
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 03:20 PM
With a temperament like that I wouldnt breed from her at all. Its hardly typical nor sound in my opinion.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-02-2012, 03:26 PM
There are enough GSD's with bad temperaments about already ...
Is she good with people??
Is she health tested ??
Who will want the pups once they drop ..Gsd litters can be on the large size ...
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 03:30 PM
You do realize that temperament is genetic? why would you want to produce a litter of German Shepherds with poor temperaments? would it be fair to sell these puppies to families?

If your bitch is dog aggressive, is fair to force her to be mated? is it fair to make her raise a litter or pups? what if she rejects them?

Whom benefits from breeding her apart from yourself?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
With a temperament like that I wouldnt breed from her at all. Its hardly typical nor sound in my opinion.
Exactly and absolutely!!!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Sorry, I have to agree with everyone else.

The fact that she is aggressive to other dogs should be enough of a sign that you shouldn't breed her. She is clearly uncomfortable with the situation. What a sad idea to pin her down just to have puppies for your own benefit.

Let alone all the other things like health testing, finding homes, having time off work, having the time, money and knowledge to rear a litter of pups.

I have a dog with a poor temperament and I wouldn't wish it on anyone and I would certainly never even consider breeding from her.
You only have to read threads on here about the trauma people go through who have aggressive dogs. Why on earth would you want potentially (and quite likely) recreate this? It is utterly irresponsible.

If you really want to get in to breeding, you will need to do lots of research and with a different bitch who has sound health and temperament.

Sorry, I usually try to post nice comments, and I hope you don't feel my answer rude, its just something that people on here are rather passionate about and there is little that is positive to say about the situation.

However, if you are looking to improve your dogs behavior round other dogs, post a question in the training and behavior section and people will gladly help out
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Assuming the following is a given

Elbow score of 0
Hip score of less than 10 at the most
Eye tested clear of HC
She been graded G/SG/V or VA at a Sieger or
She has won in Mid Limit, Limit, Open Bitch at Championship Shows
She has the MINIMUM of BH or Bronze Good Citizen's Test

She is telling you that she does not want to be mated, so why continue?

The GSD is the 4th most popular breed in the UK (2011 stats) and there are plenty of reputable breeders and there is no shortage of good, well bred litters.

So rather than put (what I assume is a well loved pet) through a FORCED mating because she is unsociable and perhaps produce progeny with en equally unsociable outlook, why not buy in a puppy and save not only yourself, but your bitch and future owners pain?

In any case, I am not sure where you would find a REPUTABLE stud dog owner who would use their dog in this way.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Tottaly agree, are you happy to pass onher temperament to her ofsprings?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Clearly she does not want to mated, in my view there would always be a reason for this.

I would never force a mating.
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2012, 08:50 PM
I agree with everyone else, sorry. I am sure you love your girl, but she does not have the correct temperament for a GSD. Dog aggression in most GSD's tends to be nervousness but even if it isn't, I wouldn't breed (or buy a pup from) a dog aggressive bitch.

I am assuming she is hip/elbow scored and that any suitable stud dogs are, if not then you are taking a huge gamble and may end up with a pup that is going to cost you thousands.

You will also really struggle to find good homes for the other pups (which I am sure you would want) because decent owners support decent breeders and will want to see health certificates etc
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »