Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dawn&Ronnie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:45 AM

Black Poop any ideas (update @post 30)

Ronnie went to the vets last friday due to throwing up they arnt sure what it is, but yesterday she pooed and it was black with like a yucky gooey stuff any ideas??
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:50 AM
....hmmm....there is a possibility the black is 'old blood' i would go back to the vets.

is your dog on any medication?
Dawn&Ronnie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:52 AM
yeah she is on anti biotics and zantac to reduce the stomach acid, they said it could be pancratitus, possiable FB or git infec
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Dark blood is not good, as it stems from higher up in the gastric system, BUT, having said that, eating a lot of grass when she felt sick could also make the poo look very dark (are you sure you saw blood?). I've had this before with other dogs. Also eating spinach can cause really dark, black kind of poo. At the very least, I'd be ringing the vet to tell him about it, and if it's not too late, pick up a sample for them. Good luck, I hope it's something innocent.
Dawn&Ronnie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2011, 10:05 AM
ermm i didnt say i saw blood in her poo.

ive been ringing around vets all morning as im trying to find one that will help with funds as i only get £30 a week.

My vets want money up front.

I will get it sorted.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Dawn&Ronnie View Post
ermm i didnt say i saw blood in her poo.

ive been ringing around vets all morning as im trying to find one that will help with funds as i only get £30 a week.

My vets want money up front.

I will get it sorted.
no i did black stools is something i would worry about...the only other thing is does your dog eat earth?
but saying that your dog already has a gi infection so i really would err on the side of caution...soz

good luck
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 10:21 AM
You don't see blood as such when it from higher up the gut, your dog just does black poo which contains such dark blood it makes the poo look black.
If you are on such a low income then you will be entitled to register your pet on the PDSA scheme.
If you look online you will find if there is a PDSA clinic near you or a local vet that treats under the scheme.
Black poo is not good and is an indication of internal bleeding and going by the meds your dog is already on it sounds like this is certainly a high possibility.
You really must get your dog back to the vets or find a vet that will help you. Keep an eye on your dogs gums too as a bleed may cause them to become anemic. They should be a nice pink colour and not pale or grey in colour.
I had a dog with IBD that had black stools.
Dawn&Ronnie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2011, 10:22 AM
no she doesnt eat earth but does eat everything else like fluff and stuffing from her teddies.

the trouble is she seems bright in her self and normal apart from the being sick, and the not eating (fusy eating) She hasnt had a poo today as yet, but is being very clingey to me.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Yes, sorry I had the blood on my mind from Tupac's post there! All the best, can't you try the PDSA as you're on such a low income, I'm sure they'd help out, even if it's just to put your mind at rest over the phone?
Dawn&Ronnie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2011, 10:27 AM
just tried phoneing them but its engaged so will try again.

My mum hasa gut feeling its a blockage, im kinda thinking that waytoo.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »