Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 02:15 PM

essays... grr.. any ideas

ive finally sat down to write an essay i should have been working on some months ago. Ive drawn a complete blank at how to structure it and where to even start.

the question is:
Try to find a dog that is suffering from a behavioural or training problem of some kind. Conduct a problem solving consultation and report your conclusions, advice and results.

Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Ok first write down in bullet point form what you need to do in the essay, how you would go from one point to the next etc. Then use those bullet points to write an introduction, (eg "For this essay a dog will be identified with a specific behavioural problem. This behavioural problem will be discussed initially and a rationale given for the choice. Following this a problem solving consultation will be undertaken to enable advice to be given and conclusions to be made. Finally there will be a conclusion to this piece of work.") The introduction is basically just a re hash of the initial question. I always find doing this can help keep you on track and remind you of what you should be writing as I tend to waffle!

Hope that helps a bit.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Excellent advice from Rip

Jenny, there are many case histories on Dogweb around which you can construct a hypothetical 'client dog' . Good look with your assignment .
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 03:51 PM
should i be writing the consultation details as though im there? you know what i mean? im not sure how to put together writing down the actual consultation and how i got the info, ie thru askin them questions and observation. do i say about meeting the family and how the dog reacted etc, or do i just basically do an overview of what the problem is and then do paragraphs for each bit?

god that sounds confusing doesnt it!

thanks everyone for ur help
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny
should i be writing the consultation details as though im there? you know what i mean? im not sure how to put together writing down the actual consultation and how i got the info, ie thru askin them questions and observation. do i say about meeting the family and how the dog reacted etc, or do i just basically do an overview of what the problem is and then do paragraphs for each bit?

god that sounds confusing doesnt it!

thanks everyone for ur help
Yes do all of that, but right it in the third person not the first. That's what they usually prefer, unless it's a piece of reflection. So you would say "On meeting the dog blah blah blah" not "When I met the dog......"

Does that make sense?

It sounds a bit like a case study to me so I think you'd have to go through everything like a vet or behaviourist would when trying to solve a case.
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2006, 07:03 PM
I always use the same format when writing essays, whatever the title/question is. I always begin by outlining the issues that I will be looking at later on in the essay. I then identify any other matters that I think may be relevant. If these points turn out to be irrelevant, i acknowledge this towards the end of my essay. This makes up the introduction to my essay.

The main body is where i usually explain my methodology and why i chose the methods used, as opposed to any other(s). I also include the works of others in this area, e.g, past/present researchers that have dealt with this area and seem to reign precedence. If you include this it's wise to explain how this is relevant to your own work or even how it isn't. The introduction will help (if you've done a good one!) as you can refer back to it to make sure that you're on the right path and haven't digressed too much. For the purposes of your essay, I personally would write it in the first person, since it sounds as though you have been asked to conduct a piece of yor own research.

The findings should be the easiest part. Again, I'd write it in the first person, thinking back to what you did and give the results.

Your conclusion should be a paragraph of what you did and what you interpret your findings to mean. Academics usually recommend that you also use the conclusion to outline areas in which you could have improved or any areas that you found problematic.

I hope this helps you Jenny..it's the basic format that I've always used and still do.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Personally (and this is just my opinion) I'd be careful writing in the first person as it can be perceived as quite simplistic and some Uni's or colleges will automatically fail or refer you through writing in first person. Although you may be conducting your own research it makes it easier for the reader to understand the essay through writing in third person.
Did that make sense? Probably not!

Here's a link to explain what I mean!

http://www.tarakharper.com/k_frstpr.htm
Daysleeper40
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2006, 08:25 AM
I would also write it in the third person. Can I just ask - are you actually supposed to have done what it asks in the question or is it all hypothetical?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2006, 09:03 AM
im meant to do what it asks. the tutor is on hand to offer advice if i get out of my depth. but im tempted to just use my mums dog as he has some behaviour problems that ive already helped with, and i know his history etc. but im still thinkin about just using a fresh one.

im not sure how i would write this kind of thing in third person. wouldnt it sound strange referring to myself as 'the student' or whatever
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2006, 10:38 AM
hi Jenny
I'd use the third person as well, it can sound more professional and opens up your essay to a wider audience that don't know you, which is what a case history should do...
You wouldn't have to refer to yourself as 'the student' as you wouldn't refer to yourself ( if you see what I mean)...instead of writing...
'I looked at the dog and it jumped up and bit me on the nose.' (as an example)!!!!!!!!!
You would write,
The dog presented with aggression on initial meetings, particulalry if direct eye contact was made, this infact, led to the dog biting in one incident.....balh blah blah....
You have to write like you are and involved....it makes you sound less involved and so therefore makes the person reading trust the piece of writing to be objective..if you see what I mean. It's a hard genre to start to write in but once you start you'll sonn get into it. Hope this helps....
Ax
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >