View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Pidge how can you tell the dog is panting, My Karma and Mace both stick/hang their tongues out at various times during the day..and are not panting, not stressed as have no reason to be and certainly not hot.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Guess was daft question after all n will leave you all too it. I still think the assistance dogs and their owners are brilliant though. Wishing everyone n their dogs all the best with Crufts, life, n just being safe n happy
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Pidge how can you tell the dog is panting, My Karma and Mace both stick/hang their tongues out at various times during the day..and are not panting, not stressed as have no reason to be and certainly not hot.
DD a pant is a pant, sticking a tongue out and breathing normally is clearly not a pant. Come on, give me some credit.

Such little faith in me
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:53 PM
You don't believe that Peta actually like dogs do you.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Guess was daft question after all n will leave you all too it. I still think the assistance dogs and their owners are brilliant though. Wishing everyone n their dogs all the best with Crufts, life, n just being safe n happy
Not a daft question. It should bring dog lovers together and does to some extent, people from all over the world that come and meet up at the shows, meet up with doggy friends and meet and talk to new people with the same interest. Some pet dog people dont agree with some of the goings on surrounding the show world and that is the reason they do not agree/support crufts and other such events.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:54 PM
right... just read through all the posts that had appeared since i last looked in going to throw my 2ps worth in now....

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
This bit on their homepage is hilarious -

''Vet checks for high profile breeds at Crufts 2012 and Championship Shows thereafter

The Kennel Club has announced that all dogs of the fifteen high profile breeds which win Best of Breed at Crufts 2012 and at General and Group Championship Shows after that, will need to be given a clean bill of health by the show veterinary surgeon before their Best of Breed awards are confirmed and before they are allowed to continue to compete at the show. This requirement is designed to improve canine health and protect the sport of dog showing.''

Riiiiiight. So only the winning dogs will be checked and by their own vet. Worth it!
checking all the dogs would be ridiculous! and yes the vet checks them, yes their own vet, but a vet nonetheless. if that vet says the dog is unfit, then it doesnt get the ticket, BOB or whatever...

Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
My 2 would find it torment! But I'm guessing show dogs just get used to it?
my dogs most definatley wouldnt find it torment, and its not something they've "got used to" they love being with me (although the seem to love the breeder more ) and love spending the day with me, including nicking my sandwiches when im not looking

Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Are you aware how many dogs show at crufts...If the vet checked all dogs, we really would be there for 12hours - something you stated was wrong

Checking over the winners, is a step forward and means only them in top health ect can gain top placings...
definately a step in the right direction

[QUOTE=Pidge;2157802]I know, I agree but it's because of Crufts that this has to be done in the first place! Everybody trying to win prizes and money by prancing their dogs round in the ring in front of huge crowds. Just doesn't seem right to me.QUOTE]
its not because of crufts its being done, crufts is another dog show, same as all the rest, and dont forget there are plenty of those non pedigree dogs that you would buy, that need a good health check too

So, looking at this time table Best in Show is at 20.30pm. That means that the winners of each breed need to be there from at least 9am to go through all of the pre-class judging.

Seems like a very long day to me.

http://www.crufts.org.uk/whats-on/day4
its not that long really, you can enter upto 10 o clock i think and leave at 4.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
As I child I loved anything to do with dogs and lapped up crufts on the TV

Lately I have really begun to hate it
- not just all the issues mentioned here
But I hate to see a parade of cookie cutter dog judged on the symitry of their markings, the flashyness, the poofyness

To me it is just like the beauty pagents for children - except the dogs that do well are encouraged to be bred from and people try and breed their dogs to look more and more like the winners - so muzzles shorten, backs slope, hair gets longer based in the preference of the judges

and of course I know not all are like that
many have a great time

But what about the breeds who have to suffer all year for their time in the show? yorkies whos hair has to be all rolled up so they dont dammage it?

Breeds who are supposed to be working breeds yet they have coats that would take a farmer or gamekeeper all day to groom and then dry off?

I have nothing against the individual who goes and has a great day with their much loved happy pet
- I am against the bigger picture

sorry - end rant - I just dont like it
dogs arent judged on there poofyness! that is so stupid! they are judged on conformation, temperment, not poofyness... and breeds dont suffer because they are shown, probably alot of them get looked after a hell of a lot better than some average "pet" dogs....

Woody is pedigree because 2.5 years ago I knew no better. Now I do.

Iams being on sale is not as supportive as double promotion via sponsorship at an event as massive and high profile as Crufts.

Hmmmm, selfishly yes because in my opinion the more profile awareness this can get the better, but.....

.....these dogs are working dogs. They are not here to be patted and most of them will find the situation quite daunting I'm sure. It's a massive, hot, busy, bustling, mad, crazy place.
those dogs arent there to be patted, they are there with their owners doing a job, most people who attend dog shows know the difference between a dog, and a working dog, cant say everyone because obviously you get the odd ones...

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Its just ignorance nothing more.
yep

In the interest of good debate, please tell me why you love showing so much. I'd especially like to know what you think your dogs get out of it.
i love showing because, i love taking my dogs for the day out, where they spend every minute with me. i love the feeling you get when you go in the ring, after making your dog look the best they can, i love shopping and buying things for my best friend so much i love about it. its such a good day out

Ill tell you what, come and see. Its pointless trying to explain to somebody who is obviously anti showing and also doesnt understand how a show is run, so come see for yourself.
yep my OH was just like that, he hated shows but he had never been, i made him go to one and now he likes going, he wont ever show, mainly because the majority of men in my breed are gay and he doesnt want people to think he is although he does end up adding loads of dogs to his "i could own one of those" lists....

I think the entrance numbers show how popular it is, and of course the increase in entries.
and the ammount of people that attend...

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
lol well I cant see it happening, i would have to see
I dont put him in for the SKC agility shows because I find them overpriced and the facilities for the dogs are not good enough for me - not enough space to run about and stuff

To me olympia would be a far more tempting event

But yup fair point, I have nothing against the agility/ob or whatever at crufts but going would be me supporting the event so I would prob not go
of course you would go, that feeling of winning is amazing! and makes you realise that all the work you have put in with your dog has paid off.

[QUOTE=Pidge;2157868]I was really cross when I heard about that, very dangerous situation for the dogs to be in, what a shame Crufts caused it.
QUOTE]
crufts didnt cause it, people who pretend to know what a dog show is and clearly dont caused it. you dont see those very same people throwing red paint over their neighbour round the corner, who has just had a litter of staffy xs after their bitch "got out" which will most probably end up in rescue...

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I don't think that anyone is disputing the fact that huge numbers of people and their dogs have a great deal of fun, and gain great satisfaction from showing. Also, until relatively recently, many more people loved to watch Crufts which is what this thread is about.

Crufts should be a shining example to the breeding/showing world, and perhaps it used to be once, but no longer. How can it hold it's head high and say "aspire to be a Champion here" when a Best in Show nearly collapsed after walking around the ring at a painfully slow pace and was subsequently declared by a Vet to be almost unable to breathe? (This due to breeding to produce the "perfect" squashed face). Further back down the line in qualifying classes, this may have been swept under the carpet and few would have known - but the fact is a Judge at the most prestigious show in the world declared this little dog the winner above all others. Further revelations came out following the shock of this win...........some judges had been convicted of cruelty to their own dogs; one made the lame excuse that she just didn't have the time to look after them. Yet Crufts use these judges.

It is a huge shame that they are now reduced to using furniture retailers - Pedigree used to be proud to put the winning dog on their adverts, but you didn't see them for dust after that damaging year.

They will have to work very very hard to regain the respect of a great many people.
they werent reduced to a sofa company... and i dont care pedigree dont sponsor it, wouldnt buy any product of theirs anyway!!

[QUOTE=Pidge;2157878]God no, I love tricks and fun dog shows etc. A great day out for all, not something I see Crufts as anymore I'm afraid.
QUOTE]
how are fun shows different? they dont offer your dog its own space (bench) they dont offer shelter from the sun, or rain if the weather is awful! so whats the difference..

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Ive said it on here before, but every year my biggest thrill & PRIDE, is walking MY DOG on the walk from the car park to the halls.

After all those years going dogless, to then be taking MY DOG makes me so proud!!!!!

i hope i never lose that feeling!
one of the most amazing feelings ever isnt it? i nearly pee'd myself on that walk

Dawn, a dog that has been lying down for ages and that is panting is either too hot or stressed.
how do you know that your dog doesnt do that when youre not home?
dogs dont get too hot.... mine have water at all times, and even little fan things to go on their cage if they are too hot, not that ive used them yet...

god been typing so long that there is going to be another million replies, and i let my coffee go cold
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:54 PM
DD a pant is a pant, sticking a tongue out and breathing normally is clearly not a pant. Come on, give me some credit.

Such little faith in me
In the picture the dogs tongue is hanging out. I fail to see how you can say its a pant...Like you just said sticking its tongue out while breathing normally is not panting.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Why, are you telling me a calm, relaxed dog with a well regulated temperature pants?
my Zak is panting now to be honest and he is watching tele with me he always pants
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
My 2 would find it torment! But I'm guessing show dogs just get used to it?
They don't "get used to it" when you pick a pup with the right kind of temperament they love it - they thrive on the attention and activity and watching everything and seeing their friends ...
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Everybody trying to win prizes and money by prancing their dogs round in the ring in front of huge crowds..

Prizes? What prizes?

Money?? What money ... costs a fortune to enter and only BIS gets a cash prize - all of £100 I think

Prancing? ... I think you just have a set attitude about what YOU believe showing to be - and this word says it all ....

If you met some decent people and attended a show you would see how the dogs can thrive on it, or you can choose to see the negatives in which case I wouldn't bother going to a show again ....

It's a hobby - same could be said for show jumping or gymkhanas or most other animal related activities ... costs the owners a fortune, not glamour or glory just great fun if it is what you want to do
Page 11 of 103 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 61 > Last »