Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-07-2012, 11:25 AM

Dogs that struggle in the heat

Even in the house with the blinds closed Ozzie still is struggling with today's heat , plenty of water down ,, have ice cubes in the freezer freezing to add when they are ready ,,,
Any other tips for indoor cooling ...
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2012, 11:40 AM
We've got the same problem, Marvel is struggling to settle down and sleep, specially last night and today.
I tried to put some cold water on a cloth and wipe his armpits and inside of his legs with it, but he was more interested in playing with the cloth.
He gets to play with icecubes if he wants to, I've also got a toy that goes in the freezer but he's ofc not very interested in that one.
Other than that we are just trying to sit still, not even going for a walk or playing in the garden!

I've filled up a bucket of water and put it outside as he seems to think it's more fun to drink from than his water bowl, atleast he's drinking lots of water!

Should have been able to reverse the central heating system, hehe!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Get a towel damp, pop in the freezer, then hang this in front of a fan (washing up bowl to catch the drips). Works like an air cooler, cooling the air as it passes over the towel rather than a fan just circulating warm air. It does increase humidity a bit but wouldn't think it was a major problem for a dog.
2 litre drink bottles, filled with water and frozen, can then be placed in beds as a 'cold water bottle' to cool down against.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Doors Open front and back, get whatever breeze is there. Draw all the blinds/curtains except where there's shade. Paddling pool outside. Beach walks early to cool them down to start the day off (Zena stays wet all day after a swim first thing, then the pool of course). Get the hose out, but make sure you run it first if it's been lying in the sun coz it will shoot out boiling water in this heat where the hose has got hot!

Last night when Zena was panting at bedtime, I wet a towel and drew it over her so that her face, mouth, paws were wet because it's the pads and mouth that keep the body cool (I think!) If the feet are cold the body temperature comes down, same with the groin area with those big blood vessels, so stuff a cold, wet towel in there for a minute, but never leave a wet towel on a dog, as it makes them hotter.

Somewhere shady and cool for them to lie on, tiles, patio slab in the shade, wet them if you have to (the slabs and the dogs!), they'll soon cool down if out of that sun. Concrete holds heat, same is it holds the cold, so make them cold!

That's it from me, I hate it and it's already over 30 here and going to get much hotter this afternoon, dreading it.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 11:58 AM
reduced exercise here because of the heat had him out at 10pm last night in the dark and at 6am this morning 30mins each time reduced his food as well

cool bag ice packs applied to the leg pits post exercise much to his disgust.

he was gobbing off at all hours as we had the windows open at the front and he wasnt tired gah! I usually have to kick his little B&T butt out of bed
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2012, 12:15 PM
The only one of mine suffering is Tucson my Pug and she's stretched out on the leather sofa between two fans, which keeps her happy, she's not even panting as long as she stays put.
We always have the doors and windows open so no change there.
At night she's had her crate moved upstairs with me cos I have air con.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 12:20 PM
I must be lucky because I don't do anything special for mine and they are fine. They lay around more but that is it. We have the doors open but they are always open anyway.

The only thing I suppose I do is walk them early (6am is GLORIOUS at this time of year!) and late, but again I do that anyway most of the time.

I do feel sorry for the dogs that hate it though. I imagine it is a struggle for the flat faced and heavy coated breeds.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-07-2012, 12:27 PM
2 show type bulldogs last week in the long grass they sounded like they were having asthma attacks ..
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 01:30 PM
im quite lucky that mine love the hot weather and dont seem affected by it, they drink a bit more, but thats just because they lie out in the sun, on walks they seem a bit more panty but generally they are fine.
the only thing i do have to make sure i do is put suncream on asbo, much to his disgust.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 01:58 PM
I have the fan on and all the windows open. And water in most rooms. Daisy and Prince had a swim in the boating lake first thing. Raz hasn`t moved all day. Shamus is sunbathing (there`s always one...)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >