Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Just backtracking to something that cropped up earlier in the thread - Hereditary Cataracts.

I've done some digging and in the Siberian Husky this is inherited as a recessive, meaning that both parents must be carriers for it to occur in any offspring.

This means that the stud dog Shadowold Face of Fire must be a HC carrier as he has sired at least one affected dog. The bitch/es that produced the litter that contained the affected dog/s will also be a carrier/s.

I may be wrong but I don't think there is a DNA test for HC, therefore any dog/s that have produced affected offspring should, ethically and morally, be removed from the pool of breeding stock unless they are in the hands of knowledgeable persons and the dog is also vitally important to the breed.

Being a carrier of the gene means that male or female, the dog will pass on the carrier state to 50% of its offspring, and without a test you cannot know which - and if it is unfortunate enough to be bred to another carrier, affected puppies will develop hereditary cataracts.

I have read that HC starts to develop in puppies between 6-18 months old.
There is a DNA test in Staffords and several other breeds for HC if its not available for any breed then yes both dog need to be removed because they are carriers and with out a test for carriers you don't know the status of the other dog.
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2011, 11:19 AM
I am surprised to hear that as down here if anyone rings even telling lies they are knocking at your door demanding to see the animals there food,bedding,hutches,vaccination records and details of vet .It has happened to us and inspector has said you have nothing to worry about as we can clearly see your animals are well looked after,its not just us that has been caught in this trap friends have too and they too have been cleared but when we ask who called them they say that info is confidential and cant be released but they have to be seen to act on every complaint even if they have visited before and know its highly unlikely claims made are true.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Well, what can I say after reading all this? (is this the longest thread on Dogsey?)

Hmmm, nice to see kids today do have active imaginations? Suppose it beats rioting & looting.

Enjoyed my soup and popcorn, what about you?
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Well, what can I say after reading all this? (is this the longest thread on Dogsey?)

Hmmm, nice to see kids today do have active imaginations? Suppose it beats rioting & looting.

Enjoyed my soup and popcorn, what about you?
I don't think its the longest thread on Dogsey although I think it could be the thread thats got more ingredients than any other
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
I don't think its the longest thread on Dogsey although I think it could be the thread thats got more ingredients than any other
Very good!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Beats the tennis ball thread
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I do not think that one had voddie on offer either
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Nothing beats the tennis ball thread - that has me in stitches just remembering it! Must bring that one back to life - I've just had 12 BYBalls given to me by my Mum..
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Hmmm you lot need to point me in the direction of this tennis ball thread!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Hmmm you lot need to point me in the direction of this tennis ball thread!
Nope find it yourself
Page 50 of 54 « First < 40 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 > Last »