IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Our signs say
"Caution - Dogs Running Free"
and
"Please Close the Gate"

We've had a couple of close shaves when delivery people have left the gate open (before we had the sign on), so for me, it's just a polite notice to visitors
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
signs suggesting "beware dogs running free" or similiar such as "I live here" or "dogs on premises" need removing as this also constitutes the impression that the dogs are dangerous and displaying them again is strictly illegal.
How does that promote the idea that the dog is dangeous? I get that "Beware of dog" does. But putting something on the door stating a dog lives there? I think that could be as much about the dog's safety. As in "Dogs live here so be careful when you open the door so they don't get out" or "Dogs live here so be prepared to be jumped on and kissed if you walk in the door." I have something on my door so that in case of fire, they know there's a dog there and if they can, they can save her. I don't see how that's illegal at all.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 07:42 AM
I just have a sign saying "I live here" with a GSD head.
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Well I see loads I liked but not with Labradors on so I had a play ..what do you think?

The pic I think is just perfect to warn anyone off LOL
Jukesgirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I think it's a bit odd, if you were breaking down an old shed or something had rusty nails laying about your garden, would you need a "Be aware, rusty nails on the floor!" sign to stop trespassers suing when they get tetanus after breaking in?:
When i took commercial law at University i was told that owner liability can depend on knowledge - so if you lived in a house and one day the wind blew your chimney over and it hit and killed your post man and you thought your house was safe and it was reasonable to assume it then you would be fine legally speaking - the mail might not get delivered again but you would be legally safe.

if you knew the chimney was wobbly and the same situation occurred however you would probably be liable.

So my assumption would be that if you knew your dog was dangerous to strangers then you are obliged to do something about it as per the DDA but this only counts for when you are outside the house

However if you think about it - you are not allowed to use a spring-loaded shotgun to protect your house if someone was to enter without your permission while you are away and if you knew your dog would attack the same argument could be made.

if i was to chose i would have a sign that informed others of the presence of a dog but give no warning as to their personality. Then you should be able to argue that you have covered yourself - i reckon
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-08-2010, 08:07 AM
that sign would definitely fall into the catergory of admitting liability
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 08:17 AM
I used to have one that read

CAUTION
DOG!

NOT NECESSARILY ASLEEP
Now to me that isn`t saying the dog`s dangerous - just that it`s there.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5