Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Please point me where I insulted rescues? saying that my preference is for a breeder bred dog is not insulting. You said that for every dog purchased from a breeder, another dog looses a home in a rescue; an argument which is illogical as it not compulsory for someone to rescue a dog. Everyone has the right to obtain a dog how they see fit without being made to feel guilty one way or the other.

You say you will never support breeders, but all dogs come from breeders somewhere down the line. Responsible breeders are not the problem here; irresponsible ones are.
you were making out as though just coz a crossbreed hasnt been bred from parents who have been health tested that they will be unhealthy. only one of my friends has a pure breed and his dog is the unhealthiest, too many problems to count! the only other one with health problems is a collie cross who has some allergies, but that is all. so i dont think it matters at all about health tests.

some people will specifically want a dog from a breeder, but many others are just uneducated. i just dont think your arguement stands at all.

i dont support breeders! how did i support jakes 'breeder'?? did they receive any money from me? or anything for that matter? no, they didnt. the only ones who i supported was the sspca. people who support breeders are the ones who give them money, encouraging them to breed again! i did no such thing!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
you were making out as though just coz a crossbreed hasnt been bred from parents who have been health tested that they will be unhealthy. only one of my friends has a pure breed and his dog is the unhealthiest, too many problems to count! the only other one with health problems is a collie cross who has some allergies, but that is all. so i dont think it matters at all about health tests.

some people will specifically want a dog from a breeder, but many others are just uneducated. i just dont think your arguement stands at all.

i dont support breeders! how did i support jakes 'breeder'?? did they receive any money from me? or anything for that matter? no, they didnt. the only ones who i supported was the sspca. people who support breeders are the ones who give them money, encouraging them to breed again! i did no such thing!!
Are you serious? I just went back and re read what I wrote and in NO WAY did I write anything of the sort. Again, feel free to point out where I said that all crossbreeds are unhealthy.

As for health tests 'not mattering', I won't even begin to comment on that. Wow.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Are you serious? I just went back and re read what I wrote and in NO WAY did I write anything of the sort. Again, feel free to point out where I said that all crossbreeds are unhealthy.

As for health tests 'not mattering', I won't even begin to comment on that. Wow.

She can't point out where you said crossbreeds are unhealthy, because you didn't say it. Simple as! I don't really know what the problem is here

I think the bit about health tests not mattering kind of says it all, considering the number of breeds that need specific health tests.

Oh well, there's no telling some people
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 08:47 AM
I also like to know that my dogs come from people who have bred ethically and responsibly, with health and temperament at the forefront.
health and temperament at the forefront... so your dogs have health and temperament coz they came from a breeder... so mine doesn't coz he never?? his temperament is perfect! (apart from his slight attitude problem , but he is still a cheeky little pup) and as for health, so far he is perfectly healthy but he is still only 4 months. and sam, was perfectly healthy until the day he died!

if you are breeding purebreeds, then yes for health tests for the genetic conditions but i dont agree that no health tests make a crossbreed any less healthy. plus, a lot of the purebreeds in rescues will come from a good breeder who did do health tests.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 08:53 AM
I am more of a rescue girl myself BUT of course I dont disagree with people buying from GOOD breeders.
How else do continue the breed (whichever breed it is) and produce the best examples in that breed possible.
In an ideal world there would be no byb or puppy farms and all pups would be health tested and only produced if the parentes were two of the best examples of the breed!
No breeders = No dogs !!!

I cant see why we are debating rescue V breeder on this thread
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

31-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
it is not beyond belief that there is a much greater chance if aquiring a rescue it will have some issues
If you choose an assessed dog from a foster place then chance doesn't come into it. You get issues or not depending on what you want/can handle. An assessed adult rescue is more predictable than a breeder supplied pup.

If someone decides to buy a pup from a breeder- what is so wrong with that?
Nothing whatsoever.

afterall you dont see responsible breeders urging people to stay away from crossbreeds and/or rescues.
Yeah, you do.
Page 9 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9