Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by sean365 View Post
That would be a problem if it was chewing up furniture and what not..but i will discuss this more with my parents, i got lots of time to think about it. Me and my brothers are very active, so the dog would fit in well and i know it wont be easy looking after it. Are they high maintanence dogs? Would i be expected to groom it for a long time? Thanks
As youngsters, they are very high maintenance. As a gundog breed, Labs are naturally very mouthy. That means they tend to bite a lot when teething (although this can be rectified with training, a lot of Labs are very determined) and also are notorious chewers. My current Lab could not be trusted out of his crate and unsupervised until he was 2 years old. He would have gladly destroyed the house.

They are also very bouncy and exuberant. Labs are real people lovers and this means that they can be hard to control when out walking. I spent the first two years getting my dogs recall solid when out walking as he would have gladly run across an entire park to say 'hi' to another dog or person on the other side of the field. Obviously, this isn't safe or acceptable and required a LOT of training to overcome.

Then there are the expenses to consider (who will be paying for the dog?), the early starts, the sleepless nights...

I am not trying to put you off (honest ), just giving you a realistic idea of what is involved.
sean365
New Member!
Male 

27-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Yes i realise they will be pretty hard work, and to be honest i would really prefer getting a dog as a puppy . Luckily, my parents will be able to sort it all out financially and although i will look after it, the dog is going to be a family pet too. Thanks for being honest with me, its better that way and i think i need some time to really think about getting a dog. i need to talk to my parents about this more aswell. Thanks very much for helping me out here guys, if i get a dog i'll let you know! Bye! Sean x
sean365
New Member!
Male 

27-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Oh also i forgot to add something which is quite important...I will not be home all day as im at school, i have asked my nan to come round a couple of times a week to look after the dog at lunchtimes (i will come round at lunchtimes too). Will this be a problem? I mean if the dog needs constant attention then that will be a problem. I will make sure it gets a good walk at lunchtimes and i get home at about quarter past 3...so its not going to get constant attention..
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by sean365 View Post
Oh also i forgot to add something which is quite important...I will not be home all day as im at school, i have asked my nan to come round a couple of times a week to look after the dog at lunchtimes (i will come round at lunchtimes too). Will this be a problem? I mean if the dog needs constant attention then that will be a problem. I will make sure it gets a good walk at lunchtimes and i get home at about quarter past 3...so its not going to get constant attention..
You can't actually walk a puppy for the first few weeks anyway. They have to remain contained in the home (although you can take them out by carrying; they just cannot walk) until they have had their set of puppy injections. So they cannot physically be 'walked' until 3-4 weeks after you get them home. Even when you can walk them, the walks will be very short. You won't be able to do long walks for at least a year.

Puppies need to toilet every hour or so. So, most breeders are not going to be thrilled with the idea of letting a pup go to a home where it will be crated for 6-7 hours a day. Equally, most rescues probably wouldn't place a dog under those circumstances.
sean365
New Member!
Male 

27-07-2009, 06:58 PM
No it wont be crated for that long, it will be out at lunch and when i get home i'll take it out again..but maybe i should go for an older dog..hmm theres a lot to take in at the moment lol :S. Thanks for the fast and helpful responses
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2009, 07:04 PM
No offence Sean, but between the hours of 6.12 to 7.03, you've gone from asking for help to choose a suitable breed, to practically knowing that a Lab is the right dog for you!

It's admirable to ask lots of questions, but I think it would be advisable to do a lot more research than that before such an important decision like which breed suits your home-life best

You firstly mentioned that you didn't want a hyper-dog, but later said a Lab being high energy wouldn't be a problem? I don't define much difference between the two! Also, you said that you would have to ask your Nan to come & let the dog out at lunch - but in your post #4 you said your Dad wasn't working? Surely, if he wasn't working he would be home all day...I'm confused

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a troll?
sean365
New Member!
Male 

27-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Ok lets get something straight...i am quite unsure at the moment and im still thinking about whether to get a dog or not...but even if u think im a troll...well thats just plain ridiculous..my dad needs to find work to fund the dog...a labrador is probably a good dog for my household like i have said...do you really think if i was a troll i'd go to a dog website asking for advice and writing various posts about what dog breed to buy only to waste other peoples time? Lol u must be joking me...anyway i have to go now. Thanks for your help guys
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2009, 07:37 PM
I think its a little unfair to call him a troll.
Not everyone who comes here is an expert on dogs....isnt that how most find dogsey, when they are looking for information?? And arent the more knowledgeable supposed to help?
At least hes asking questions and thinking about it and hasnt just rushed in and bought the first dog he sees.
Good luck sean
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if this is a troll?

Sorry, I'm with AM on this one
sean365
New Member!
Male 

27-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks honeysmummy, at least some ppl arent so ignorant
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »