Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Helipops View Post
Well Ill admit that I do it if I am driving locally and am careful. My dog loves it and yes there are dangers to it but the chances are slim. Im not about to follow the crowd who wont throw a stick for the dog in case it gets a splinter. Its a dog - let them have a bit of fun.

Not fun for the dog if it gets injured. Pergaps you would like to read GSDmads post for today regarding healing vibes for her liitle dog.

Theres LOADS of fun a dog can have without risking their lifes.

Drive them SAFELY some where nice & take them for a run. Who says dogs have to be having fun every second of their lives. Dogs dont understand the dangers of sticking their heads out of a window....they are dogs. its up to us to be responsible
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 04:17 PM
All these people who say that they are a safe driver, would you not get insurance as you are a safe driver and wouldn't crash?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Look, it boils down to the facts.

The fact is, if your dog is un-restrained in your car and you are in an accident the dog will either be seriously injured or dead. As will you. It will also possibly escape and wonder in a frightened state either into on-coming traffic, causing possible injury and death to others or itself OR, at best it may run away and you will never see it again.

To me, the simple act of restraining my dog to prevent this possibility is an absolute no brainer and anyone who chooses not to do it is being irresponsible.

Fact.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
All these people who say that they are a safe driver, would you not get insurance as you are a safe driver and wouldn't crash?
Ahh but it's illegal to drive without insurance and you also can't tax a car without it and it's illegal to not have that either!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:16 PM
I've been reading up on the latest posts in here, and I'm getting the gist that dogs have to be restrained in the back of a car now, so I have a question please, which is, is it necessary to restrain your dogs in the back of an estate car even if you have a proper dog guard behind the front seats then please??? I have the back seats down you see and both dogs are free to move about in the back, but behind a very strong, made for the car, dog guard which I thought would be ok, but it seems not then??? I only ask coz I'm a worryguts!!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:19 PM
thats what i did when i had a car!

Had Seats down, front dog guard behind front seats & tail gate at back, & those windows thingys for when i wanted windows open. Back just like a giant cage
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:23 PM
So that's classed as safe then, I don't have to put them in harnesses to restrain them in the back with my set up then?? They have the back windows open but only 2", noses only allowed! I'd like to fit crates, but of course, they jump in the back door not the tailgate coz Georgie can't manage that it's too high!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
thats what i did when i had a car!

Had Seats down, front dog guard behind front seats & tail gate at back, & those windows thingys for when i wanted windows open. Back just like a giant cage
That's exactly what I do but I don't have the dog guard behind the front seats and i open the windows too far.

I'm very confused as to what it is i'm doing wrong aside from the window's down for Monty to hang his head out now.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
Why be so defensive if you are doing what you feel is okay? Just because the majority of us feel it is totally irresponsible and dangerous doesn't mean to say that if you do that because you don't feel there are risks etc, you shouldn't do it - your dog your risk your fault if something goes wrong - don't wish to be nasty, just have concern for the dogs knowing what can happen but each to their own! Can't see the need for defensive comments though! You do it because you think it's right then you have confidence in your convictions eh?
Because I am sick fed up with the attitude of some members. They do what they feel is right and condemn anyone who does different. I will make decisions for my dog, and not let over people belittle me and try to make me feel bad for what I decide. I should not need to explain myself, or my decisions, to anyone and if I do, it will be my choice. When I wrote that post, I was disgusted by some of the posts I had just read, so I didnt wish to say anymore. It also was to give me a chance to see what, if any, conclusions people would jump to.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Ahh but it's illegal to drive without insurance and you also can't tax a car without it and it's illegal to not have that either!
Yes I know that, but if it wasn't would you drive without it, thinking its ok its a low risk so I'll be fine? Would you also drive in a car without seatbelts on? Would you drive a unMOT'd one (if all the laws weren't put in place) because you think that its a low risk and you'll be ok?

When I was in the car today, I was about ten minutes from home and saw a fatal road crash sign, I saw flowers there, recently there was a three car pile up that a motorbike was also involved in, the motorbiker died, the rest were injured. Any one could of been involved in that, or a crash like that, any unrestrained live animal could of been seriously hurt, if not from the impact of the crash from running scared and getting injured, is it really worth it?
Page 19 of 49 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 > Last »