Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2008, 12:57 PM

What do you think this means?

I went for a medical assessment yesterday for the incapacity benefit I get. I go once every 12 months for it.

I had a different person this time (I've had the same doctor for the past 2 assessments). She was really nice and sympathetic, but didn't seem to ask as many detailed questions as the last doctor used to.

At the end she said 'I'm not going to do an examination on you. You've put down on your form about your balance problems and other things, but I don't feel I need to examine you for them'.

So I said 'You don't have to examine me because?'

She said 'I have to be careful what I say, I'm just making you aware that I'm not going to examine you.'

I thought she either meant she believed me about the balance problems etc so didn't need to test it, or she meant it wasn't bad enough to have any bearing on the claim.

What do you guys think? I'm at that tricky point where I'm just about ready to go back to work, but I'm not quite there yet.

On a positive note I had a letter back aout my last MRI scan - there's no sign of the brain tumour or hydrocephalus and they're thinking about not doing anymore scans (they're going to check with my other neurosurgeon first though)
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2008, 01:16 PM
im not sure hun, I would hate to think they did not believe you though given what you have gone through..xx hope it all works out well.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2008, 02:08 PM
not sure about the doctor Sarah but am really pleased regarding the results of your MRI
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys. I'm not too worried about the assessment. My GP says I shouldn't go back to work yet so if they dispute the claim I can appeal.

I really want to go back to work, but I think if I do it too soon I'll make mayself ill again. I'm doing 4 hours a wek voluntary work and 5 hours a week at college and it's wiping me out
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Not sure, but I will say if they knock you back don't give up. My father-in-law had to appeal against getting knocked back and won. I think they are trying hard now to reduce the amount of claimants and will do anything they can to back out of paying.

Hopefully, you are worrying over nothing - great news about the scan BTW
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2008, 04:54 PM
I already get the money, it's just for it to carry on for a bit. The assessor asked me if I got disability living allowance. When I said I'd applied twice and was turned down she looked very shocked. I couldn't have DLA even when I was bed bound and couldn't walk!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2008, 04:56 PM
From what you have said, I take it that she feels there is no NEED to examine you. Presumably, she has details of all the hospital tests, etc., so how can she argue with that? It is clear that you need time to get back into full-time work, after what you have been through. Hope it all works out
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 05:18 PM
hello sarah
maybe its just the way ,she said it . im pleased things are going well ,you are right not ,to run befor you can walk .your doctor knows you best ,i wouldnt worry ,he will soon ansew any questions ,you may have x