Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2006, 08:58 PM

Crate Size? (for Jack Russell Terrier)

Hi, I need help. I have a small JRT who is posessed by the devil. As a consequence I have decided to resort to using a crate when we are out. I don't know what size to get. Any suggestions??
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi Bibby the crate needs to be big enough to allow free movement,also you need to train your little dog to use it gradually so he comes to think of it as a bed/safe haven not somewhere to fear..this article by Shadowboxer may help ..
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Sorry i don't know the size but as long as its big enough for her to stand up in and turn around in it should be ok , as long as she's not left in it too long , I have a jrt x who is spawn of satan ..she just would not 'do' crates .....Good Luck
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2006, 07:58 AM
On the ads it says that the 24" cage is suitable for a JRT. Would you agree?
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Here is ther blurb. Bear in mind Pixi is a small JRT....

size:-
25"L x 19"W x 21.75"H (external)
24"L x 18"W x 21"H (internal)
7.35kg

This cage is constructed of heavy gauge steel, not cheap thin wire. The thicker the steel the greater the strength, and the stronger the welds
(Look at the pictures below, if two people can stand on a cage it’s strong) On our cages the frames are 4mm gauge wire with rounded corners for added safety.
The mesh is 3mm gauge. Also look at the distance between the mesh. Larger spacing between the wire means reduced strength. The spacing we favour is 35mm x 75mm, 35mm x 100mm and for our giant cage the mesh size is 25mm x 125mm.

The door catches we use are “dogsafe” This means that they have to be raised before being drawn. The bolt is thick 5mm gauge– because you need extra strength here!!

Metal tray or plastic? A metal tray is often a cheap tin tray with no serious protection against corrosion. It will have sharp edges which can injure your pet. When you disinfect it any coating to protect against corrosion will be reduced. And if you use it in a car it will rattle. We use heavy duty plastic trays – they slide out for easy cleaning, they are very robust, they are not damaged by cleaning and they have no sharp edges.
SniperWolf
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-04-2006, 09:35 AM
I bought my Indy a small Coliie X a GSD size crate.

I hate seeing her in it, but she's secure and feels safe, and as a result we have a clean, non chewed house again.

She's been in it from about 5-6 months old, she's nearly a year.

During the day if we are out we now leave the crate door open.... eventualy i would like to get rid of it for good.

They arn't pretty to look at..... but i cut a slim sheet of MDF up for the top and we use that as a dog towel and dumping ground

My pref would be to get a metal tray one, as the plastic tray ones are chewed easily, also look on Ebay as they are way cheaper than shop bought IMO.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Bibby
Here is ther blurb. Bear in mind Pixi is a small JRT....

size:-
25"L x 19"W x 21.75"H (external)
24"L x 18"W x 21"H (internal)
7.35kg

This cage is constructed of heavy gauge steel, not cheap thin wire. The thicker the steel the greater the strength, and the stronger the welds
(Look at the pictures below, if two people can stand on a cage it’s strong) On our cages the frames are 4mm gauge wire with rounded corners for added safety.
The mesh is 3mm gauge. Also look at the distance between the mesh. Larger spacing between the wire means reduced strength. The spacing we favour is 35mm x 75mm, 35mm x 100mm and for our giant cage the mesh size is 25mm x 125mm.

The door catches we use are “dogsafe” This means that they have to be raised before being drawn. The bolt is thick 5mm gauge– because you need extra strength here!!

Metal tray or plastic? A metal tray is often a cheap tin tray with no serious protection against corrosion. It will have sharp edges which can injure your pet. When you disinfect it any coating to protect against corrosion will be reduced. And if you use it in a car it will rattle. We use heavy duty plastic trays – they slide out for easy cleaning, they are very robust, they are not damaged by cleaning and they have no sharp edges.
Hi Bibby
that sounds like the ones i have and it is strong and very well made, mine are used on Dobermanns so are obviously much larger, We have a plastic tray and no rattles as a result. Although mine don't try to escape so can't comment on how escape proof they are. We also have the canvas covers to go over them which are great. I have a 12 week puppy in the next size up to the one your considering and she has masses of room in there, I added extra cushions for her so that she didn't look lost in it and she is probably a lot bigger than a small jack russell. I already had this one as i used to have a parson jack russell and he had loads of space to move about freely. Think on reflection I bought the wrong size for him, he could have done with a smaller one, but its fine as a puppy crate now.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 03:52 PM
My crate is big enough for the OH - our Dobermann puppy will be able to use this throughout her life as she'll grow into it. It's got a plastic base on it and two doors which open out the way - does take up a lot of room but sooooo worth the peace of mind when you're out (once they finally get used to it)

Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all your help. We went out yesterday to see the cages in the flesh and you're right they are much dearer that way. When we got home I ordered it off eBay. It is the one I posted the spec of earlier. Today I got a nice piece of vet bed for it. I also got a stainless steel bowl that will hook on the bars (will fix it permanently). I think it's the same bowl as you have trikeschick.

So, just waiting for it to arrive. Meanwhile, vet bed is a 'rug' on the floor in a patch of sun so she can lie on it and sunbathe. -Get her used to it. She will usually be in it for 4 hours max 4 times a week. So hopefully it wont be too horrendous for her.

So, now we wait for the crate to arrive....
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 10:32 PM
yep think it was ebay we got Suki's crate too.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >