Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spikey
Dogsey Junior

18-05-2005, 10:29 AM

Aggressive SBT

Hi everyone,

I wrote this in the wrong section, can anyone give me some help?

I did 6 lessons of obedience training after the fact, maybe is very territorial, in my garden she's always running and hunting everything moves....

Thanks

Alan

"New from Italy

Hi everyone,

my name's alan, I'm 33 and I write form Italy.

I have two Staffordshire Bull Terrier (see some pics in the pictures section) and I was looking for someone fond in love for the SBT like me...

Here in Italy we don't have so many SBT, the number is growing but they're just a few for each show...

I don't usually go to the show cause I don't like those crazy people who treats a dog like that, I bought my dogs especially for me.

Before I had an English Bulldog but he died at 3 years on a summer day and from that day I choose the Staffordshire.

Mine are wonderful dogs, they're different, Spike (6 yo male) is so sweet, I love him!

Nikita (14 mo bitch) is very dominant, I hope she will calm with time, she's very jealous and some months ago she killed another bitch I had (not SBT), they lived together and I don't know what's happened that day, I was at work, it was a terrible day.

Some of you can tell me something to do with her?

I'm afraid she will do the same with Spike even if he's stronger.

Thank you very much and I hope to improve my poor english....

Bye.

Alan"
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Hi Alan Im sure someone will come along soon who can help you!
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 11:03 AM
First of all! Hello and welcome to dogweb from one of "those crazy people who treats a dog like that" Though I DO work mine (and Tam has started SchH ) So I won't start going at you for that ....... I'll give you some time

I am not a Staffy person but I do have experience with Rotties/GSD/Dobies. The thing you need to do RIGHT NOW is separate your bitch from your male!!! And keep them separated, though this is probably bitch/bitch related you can't be too careful. What I think happened (from what I read) is that your bitches had a squabble over something (food, toys, sleeping place, though probably dominance what with the Staffy becoming an "adult") and the Staffy bitch just went all out. I've known that to happen with rotties (commonly, especially with inexperienced owners who don't know to keep order), and I have heard of it with Staffys and other bull breeds.

She will not calm with time. What I'd say to do is find a training club (there should be some in Italy, even if you have to pay more) and start teaching her basic obedience and to teach her to pay attention to you. And next, this is not something you can solve on your own!! Find a good behaviourist (again, there should be some in Italy), and stick with any routine he gives you.

Some basic tips to "tune-down" the dominance (slightly) are for instance always making her wait for you to go out the door first (no bulling past!!) making her sit or down (down is better) before you give her her dinner, no more sleeping on the sofa/bed (if she does), she doesn't get played with or fed ANYTHING without her doing something for it. And try this, put her in a down stay for 30 minutes each day, while you are on the computer or reading a book or watching telly. Just put her in a down-stay and if she gets up you say no, and put her back down. No relenting either!! She can lie on her back or side but the main thing is she MUST stay down.

Good luck and keep us updated!!

someone else is going to come and advise something way better than this.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Hello Alan,
I have two Staffords a dog called Glory and a female called B, it is not advisable to keep two of the same gender, unless under constant supervision, even that is no guarantee of a non quarrelsome existance, sorry about you other girl, I think that is probably down to the fact that she is of the same sex, always be aware that many Staffords still possess a strong prey/fight drive, and will utilise this at ever opporunity, good luck.
Meg
Supervisor

18-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Hello Spikey your Engish is very good I am not a Staffy person either but will say a little about your problem if that is ok

I am very sorry to hear about the killing of the bitch, that must have been very terrible for you. I have not seen the details of what happened and as we were not there no one will ever know for sure but I guess 'possession' of something will have been the main reason.

As I understand it you now have a dog and a bitch ? The problem should be not so great with two dogs of opposite sexes but fights may still occur. No matter how much training you do you can never be certain what will happen when two dogs are left alone for long periods, in view of what has happened I would seperate them if this has to happen. Also what Gordon Lover has said is good advice, but I am unsure with this bitch that it will alter her relationship with the other dog. It is hard to comment further without seeing the bitch and dog together and watching their body language...

Posted the same time as HD.
spikey
Dogsey Junior

18-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Thank you all!

It's hard to keep separate my dogs, I thinked the fact happened for a game, maybe a mouse or a little bird but probably that the problem was the start of the love season (is correct?) of Nikita.

Before this I thinked it was unlikely cause the other bitch was sterylised but probably I was wrong.

From that day, it was february, male and bitch still live together but I pray everyday....

I started an obedience training with Nikita, I got something, she sat down or lie but she's still very excitable.

Thanks again for your advices, next time I'll working at pc I will do like Gordon Lover said.

Bye

Alan
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Hi Alan.
Hello

I have to say first your English is excellent a lot better than my Italian.
However onto your problem, I am no expert but have two Stafford bitches and although they get on they are "not allowed" to get carried away or over excited there play is always under a watchful eye. I am always aware that a "problem/fight" could break out and with that in mind I never leave them alone together when we are out they are in seperate rooms with closed doors and at night they sleep in seperate rooms. It may seem a little over cautious but better safe than sorry.

I am sorry your other bitch died in such tragic circmstances it must have been a terrible shock.

Take care Karen
spikey
Dogsey Junior

19-05-2005, 06:26 AM
Hi Kazz,

it's not easy to keep dogs in separate room with Spike I hav to close doors properly, he learned to open with his leg....

How old are your dogs?

Even at night you don't keep them together?

I love to see my dogs live together but I will never have another bitch or male until I have Spike and Nikita...

Bye

Alan
Meg
Supervisor

19-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Hello Alan I see in the intriductions thred that you are thinking of breeding from Nikita, I am not a bull breeds person and would be interested to read the opinion of other Staff owners but I if it was me I would not wish to breed from this bitch when she has killed another dog. I am sorry if you have set your heart on breeding from her but when a bitch has such a temperament it is not a good thing to do.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

19-05-2005, 08:42 AM
I endorse Mini's reply. Temperament is very important when considering breeding. Breeding from an aggressive/nervous bitch or dog can have unfortunate consequences for the puppies and their owners.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >