Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Monster2191
New Member!
Female 

19-05-2013, 07:13 PM

Worried !!!

Ok. I have a two month old pit bull weighs about ten pounds. She eaten chocolate .dark chocolate. I've given her activated charcol. I've given her lots of water. I think she ate it yesterday anywhere from 2 pm-2 am. It is now the next day at 10. Anything else I can do to help her get better also what are symptoms showing she's doing better or worse. She's peed a lot also pooped twice and vomited around 6pm on her bed. Can anyone help please and thank you.
The size of the chocolate was about the size of a thumb all around and thiner then a normal pencil like the led not the whole pencil itself. The vet said give her activated charcol. An keep her hydrated which I give her water a lot she eats normally. She's still active as usual. I'd take her to the vet but they were going to charge ime 1,000. Which I don't have at the moment i have a part time job but wont get paid till Friday. She usually runs in her sleep but I think this time she twitched and my vets office isn't open till tomorrow . So again any signs that shell be fine. Or might get worse.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Is there an emergency number you can ring? You need to know her weight, the amount she has eaten and he cocoa solids content of it....I would do it ASAP. Should have done it yesterday really. Good luck!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2013, 07:41 PM
I've just read that again and I'm surprised that the vet didn't ask you all the above especially as she is such a small pup!

When my Staffie ate some chocolate gingers the vet nurse wanted her in straight away, like you I didn't want her to go in as it was Boxing Day so was going to cost a small fortune which we just didn't have....but I got the vet on the phone and he did an equation with the information I had given him. He ummed and ahhhhhrd and then asked what breed she was....when I said Staffie he said 'oh yeah she'll be fine then!'
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2013, 07:58 PM
I know that eating chocolate is really bad for dogs and can be deadly and if she's vomiting I'd at least call a vet in any case.. but to reassure you a little: all of my dogs have eaten chocolate by accident in the past. Once my parson russell cross ate a WHOLE chocolate mousse cake by herself! And she was absolutely fine.
I always panic in those cases because I know how bad it can get but all my dogs have been fine when eating chocolate so if your dog hasn't got any symptoms chances are she's gonna be fine!
I really hope so anyway!
Monster2191
New Member!
Female 

19-05-2013, 08:12 PM
She seems normal untill she falls asleep it looks like she twitches but she normally makes those movement like if she's running in her sleep I've had this pup not to long and I don't want to lose her..I was told to have her eat a lot so shell poop out the toxins?
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Baxter managed to munch through a half kilo of chocolate stolen from my husband's rucksack and had no ill effects. He also managed to eat half kilo of sultanas - which is also toxic and again to no ill effect, he did vomit at one stage.

I'm not making light of it, because I understand these things can be very dangerous.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Hello, and it is so worrying when our dogs do something stupid like this isn't it.

I know that you are concerned about the twitching, but from what you say this is only when your pup is asleep and not when awake? I do know that unusual twitching of muscles is one of the symptoms of choccy poisoning, but I think that it tends to be all of the time; also you don't mention any hyperactivity or panting excessively, and although your pup was sick once there is no diarrhea.

As your vet has suggested, the very best thing for the moment is to shove in the food and make sure that water goes in at regular intervals, but if you become in any way concerned about something unusual that is happening over the next couple of days then I would certainly give that vet another call.

Our last dog once ate a whole, large, chocolate cake with dark chocolate icing; another time she wolfed down six Belgian chocs ........on neither occasion did she even have the grace to be sick, let alone develop other problems!!

So try not to worry too much, but keep a close eye for a day or three.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Hi! My previous dog Brownie loved chocolate and ate an entire chocolate cake one time by accident. I left him at home with free run while I went with mom to the docs.

He was always well behaved and the cake was on the table covered with foil to cool while we were out. We came back HOURS later and found that he had gotten on the table, knocked it down and eaten the entire thing.

He hated always HATED chocolate, so this was surprising. There was no vomit or anything, and he eventually did perfectly fine. I'd not worry too much, but since your puppy is tiny.. it might be a good idea to actually take her in so they can make sure she's alright.
Monster2191
New Member!
Female 

20-05-2013, 09:27 AM
update: she's ok the twitching stopped took her to a vet and they said she was dehydrated. Out fluids under her skin and gave me a prescription she seems to be doing ok just lazy prob from the vet
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Great news, happy to hear she's doing well
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >