Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Davy MacLean
New Member!
Male 

26-07-2011, 10:14 PM

Getting dog to put on weight!

My old girl has been on medication for heart failure for 2 yrs now (shes 14.6 kgs) small lurcher type. However over the last year she's lost nearly 3 kilo's She was at the vets tonight and he's advised to feed her things like mince with all the fat to try and build her up. She likes mince! I was looking at giving her 250g twice a day

A, Is this enough?

B, It's been suggested I give her baby food no bad stuff in it and a big jar contains around around 130-140 calories for a human I was thinking two of them per day. Would this be enough for her? I was told to look for toddler age group food but couldnt find anything apart from 7 or 10mths upwards.

I know there's working dog food out there but she'll turn her nose up at dry food and I'd rather not feed/lift bowls after 10mins until she ate it
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 03:42 AM
Try her with raw or lightly cooked tripe, its very body building plus they love it

Dont forget one jar of baby food is equivalent to a meal. You would probably get the toddler stage food in your local chemist. I have a dog with renal disease & when she goes off her diet i would sometimes try & coax her with baby food. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt
Davy MacLean
New Member!
Male 

27-07-2011, 06:01 AM
Not sure if I can handle the smell of tripe! Gave her a jar of baby food last night scoffed the lot! I'll mix it in with the rest of her mince today. Typical spend more on the two dogs melas per week than I do on my own!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 06:06 AM
My Rough Collie tends to lose weight in the winter, so I give her breast of lamb (raw) and helps no end (also Atora suet mixed in with a couple of meals)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by Davy MacLean View Post
Not sure if I can handle the smell of tripe! Gave her a jar of baby food last night scoffed the lot! I'll mix it in with the rest of her mince today. Typical spend more on the two dogs melas per week than I do on my own!
If you get the frozen blocks from P@H minced tripe, just defrost it and add it to the food, or feed it straight, raw, they love it and there is no smell with that, never, ever cook it! You'll regret it if you do! Good luck with her, hope she gains some weight.
Davy MacLean
New Member!
Male 

27-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Wel she's just ate 250grams of mince and a baby jar with no left overs so shes had around 700Kcals shes not very actvie these days so a couple of weeks on this diet should build her back up.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Lamb is very good for getting weight on as it`s fatty and dogs love it. I used to give lamb breasts but you could try lamb mince?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 08:58 AM
It sounds as though your diet of mince and baby food is doing the trick

I would have suggested raw tripe too - but as, Helena54 said, never ever cook it. Pheeeewwweeeee! It doesn't half stink!

Lamb mince is also a good idea, as it is fatty.
Davy MacLean
New Member!
Male 

27-07-2011, 11:12 AM
She's also got small pork pies for scooby snacks as well
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Lightly cooked the defrosted frozen tripe blocks are not offensive at all
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >