14-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Have you contacted the RSPCA about her?
Becky
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
To be honest it just sounds like a tactic to get you to back off over the vets fees to me.
Yes, this is my impression too, for them it's likely cheaper to 'buy' the dog back than to pay your vets bills (Which is why they didn't have the pup properly treated in the first place,) plus they can resell the dog and hope they get a less canny buyer than you.

As everyone says try to get legal advice, most solicitors offer a free 'first' meeting or go to CAB.

My limited understanding is that you've entered into a contract so you're the legal owner now, the breeder has no right to reclaim the puppy, unless you agree.

Also as wisely suggested watch out on walks 'cos moving from private property to public property does have some implications, if only because it could be easier to 'grab' the dog.

Above all, try to keep calm, be careful answering the door, speak to a solicitor if you can, and I hope and pray this will all blow over, it must be a worry for you 'tho right now.

PS - Just edited to say I'm glad you've spoken to a solicitor, as you say this women has no interest in her puppies, just greed.
Teddysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Have you contacted the RSPCA about her?
Becky
No, not yet. I don't know if I should yet. I'm just waiting to see what their next move is.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Poor you - as if you haven't been through enough *hugs*

Glad you spoke to a solicitor, hope you feel more secure now x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Teddysmum View Post
No, not yet. I don't know if I should yet. I'm just waiting to see what their next move is.
The problem with that is she may do nothing so how long do you wait. By taking it further you will be protecting future generations if she breeds again because she is going to think harder about doing it if she's had to pay up this time.
Becky
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 12:30 PM
So glad you've now spoken to a solicitor and at least that way, she's put your mind at rest that Teddy is definitely yours for keeps! I suppose you now have 2 roads to go down, either take the advice of the solicitor and go for suing this woman, knowing you will probably win and get all your vet's fees plus all the costs paid, but might court trouble further on down the road (well, you never know with some of these unscrupulous breeders!)OR, you just sit tight knowing you have all the paperwork, the law is on your side, and you can stick to your guns if they either phone you again or come round, and hopefully, when you tell them in no uncertain terms that you have no intention of handing little Teddy back and in fact you could sue them for ALL your losses because you've now had advice from your solicitor, and although you're out of pocket that way, at least you have peace of mind that they will leave you alone for good and little Teddy!

As Losos has said, I expect in their way of thinking, if they handed you the money back and took Teddy, at least they have something for their money so to speak, whereas, if they just paid out your vet's fees they have nothing in return! ONly guilt hopefully!!!!!

Don't get worried at all, you've got everything on your side, the ball's now in your court when they contact you again, so get ready with what you actually want to do about this. I know what I'd do!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 12:39 PM
TBH, if it was me I'd be inclinded to sue.
They had agreed to pay the vets bills already and now won't. They have phoned you up and were abusive and threatening; and may well land at your house this evning behaving in the same manner. Not to mention they want to take Tedy off you.

Why are they doing this? To avoid paying the vet bills.

I wouldn't allow people to intimidate me in this manner and would follow your solicitors advice. That way they will see you mean business and are not someone they can silence through bullying.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Really depends on the type of people they are doesn't it! Do you really want to cause yourself further problems than you already had in the first place? I know the LAW is on your side, but some nasty people don't bother about what the law says do they? Bricks through your windows perhaps, always feeling insecure leaving your dogs out in the garden in the summer months they might just send someone round to steal Teddy IF they have had to fork out vet's fees and court costs, dare I even suggest it, but poisoned bait over the garden fence. Oh it all doesn't bear thinking about to me, and if you've got the money to forget about having coughed up for the vet's fees, I'd much rather have total peace of mind that my dogs and my family are safe! There are some really evil people out there ya know, not that I've had any of it, but I've certainly heard about what lengths some people go to for money or revenge!

Hark at me, I'm turning into my Dave!! It would only have been a short while ago that I would have gone for these people and sued the pants off them if this had been me, but having listened so many times to Dave in the past when I've wanted to take my revenge on someone nearby, he's come up with all these "maybe's" and now I'm turning into just the same. I think he might be right though when he talks about possibilities and consequences, and is it really worth it?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Go girl.....I particularly like the fact that their dogs might get checked out as well. What sort of care did the bitch have during the pregnancy, whelping etc...they need sorting out.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Good for you for contacting the solicitor, these sort of people really get me cross they throw their weight around thinking you will be worried and back down. Well, I for one think they have picked on the wrong one with you and they will get their rightful dues.

Go for it girl we are all behind you and Teddy
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »