View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2004, 11:10 AM

Do you copy your parents in dog ownership?

Something mentioned earlier got me thinking as to whether we treat our own dogs the same way that our parents did ?

If you think back to being a child and still living at home did your parents treat their dogs in the same way you treat your own now ?
I know things were slightly different back then in the way that people may have toilet trained etc and that the use of choke collars etc were quite common.

My parents NEVER let ours on furniture - that was a cardinal sin. (Mine are!)
And I can remember common views on toilet training a pup used to be to rub pups nose in the mess (Barbaric)
Pedigrees were for posh people

does anyone else have any memories of how ownership differed then ? Or do you find you have inherited your parents training methods?
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2004, 11:16 AM
My parents never owned a dog so couldn't tell yer. I'll come back in 15 years time and let u know what my kids think
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2004, 11:22 AM
yeh...

well.. my parents think u shud rub your dogs nose in their mess if they poop in the house... but it is just cruel and dogs learn better through positive reinforcement.

My dad would smack his dogs if they were bad, rub their noses in poop.

Whereas i never hit indie and she was toilet trained very early thru positive reinforcement.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2004, 11:56 AM
omg my mum would never have dogs, none of mine have even stepped foot in her house, as its a show home.my dad on the other hand always used to have a bearded collie, and he really loves my dogs.my mum reckons she's allergic to dogs now ive got them and never comes round too my house any more.so as far as im concerned its a result!!lol
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2004, 12:07 PM
My mum had that policy too - No dogs allowed in the furniture! But Bonnie slept in me and my brothers bed.

Luna is allowed iin my bed (am now thinking what I'm to do when she comes in season)

Bonnie weren't eating untill after we had eaten. Luna gets her food before or at the same time, it depends really
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2004, 12:08 PM
my mum treated our dogs better than she treated me! we always went on dog holidays and never fun holidays i loved the dogs but wished my mum had sometimes left them at home. I dont intend my kids to feel like this and am lucky that any days out we want max can stay at his sisters. But like my mum I do adore max and i prefer him to most people
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

28-08-2004, 12:37 PM
I think quite simialr apart from the fact that I've done a lot more research into trianing/keeping dogs etc. But thats probably because theres more info now availible (ie. on the web!)
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2004, 12:39 PM
my dad believes in rubbing the dogs nose in the mess, and also believes the only way to tell it off is to smack it,

I of course m not like that, but thats just how my dad was brought up and told how to treat dogs, he always had GSD's
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2004, 01:14 PM
my dad also believed that is they dirtied in the house then they had there nose in it, i have never done this to any of my pups.

the dogs were not aloud in the sofa, mine used to when i had only 2 but now i have 3 there would be no room for any1 else lol but they do have a very nice soft dogs bed next to the sofa

my parents dogs were aloud to run free and stray, it was not until my bitch was about 6 and had had 3 litters of mongrels that he decided to walk them on a leads.
mine are never out without with out me

my parents are better now, neither have dogs at the moment but my father does walk dogs for a few ppl, he would of thought of this as a waste of time a few years ago
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2004, 01:46 PM
I would have probably treated my dogs the same way as my parents had treated Kim, but through research before getting a dog I realised many faults in their 'puppy training' methods (or should I say new techniques).
Like many have already mentioned, rubbing the pups nose in it's mess was one of my dads punishments and Kim used to be kennelled outside all day until one of the neighbours threatened to poison her. Thankfully, Kim was trained with tone of voice and treats so my parents did teach me a thing or two with that. And pets were strictly meant for the floor/dogwbed (not on furniture) although, in her twilight years they allowed her to sleep with me.
Most of all however, they taught me how to respect animals aswell as ensure they were cared for and how to be a responsible dog owner. They taught me that she wasn't some toy to be tossed away once bored. Kim was always walked on lead in the street, allowed to run free down the river and the neighbours thought we were crazy when we had carrier bags in our pockets and clean up her mess.
They may have had a few minor flaws with their training methods, but I'm talking about the days pre-internet, without easy access to information. So I am proud to say that Yes, I have learn't a lot about pet ownership through my parent. And Yes my dogs are treated in a similar fashion.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >