register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Have you ever been bitten by a dog?
Yes -severely attacked/mauled 17 5.33%
Yes 213 66.77%
No 89 27.90%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 6 of 19 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 11:08 PM
1) Briefly what happened and extent of bite/attack
The was in it's owners garden (behind the garden gate) and my Mam had stopped to chat to the owner. I put my hand through the bars to pet the dog and it bit the middle finger of my left hand. I had been warned not to pet the dog previously, as it had a reputation for nipping.

Breed of dog
Collie/GSD mix

age you were ( approx)
Toddler so 2-3 probably?

whether you feel it was you or the dogs fault or just one of those things ??
My fault as I put my hand in inspite of being told not too (although how many toddlers understand such things?)

was the dog PTS
No.

2)Briefly what happened and extent of bite/attack
Was staying at a friends farm to help with lambing season, they had several WSDs. Had petted and said hello to a dog called Jim in the kitchen when I first arrived. The dog did growl when I went to pet him and was told off by the owners. Later on I saw the dog laid on top of a haybale and went to say hello again. As I reached up to pet the dog he went for my face, with his top teeth just to the left of my right eye and bottom teeth in my top gum. On hearing my screaming the owner appeared and ordered the dog to let go, which he did.

Breed of dog
WSD

age you were ( approx)
Teenager so approx 13-14.

whether you feel it was you or the dogs fault or just one of those things ??
Looking back I would say it was 50/50 between myself and the dogs owner. Having previously been growled at my instincts now would tell me I've had my warning and leave it at that. But not knowing then, what I know now I tried to go back and "make amends" with the dog. On the owners part I think once he had growled, he should've been placed away from unfamiliar people to prevent an attack happening.

was the dog PTS
No.

These are the two major ones I remember, I've been nipped several times by the PRT my family owned when I was little and I've had a few near misses as well. But nothing on the scale of some poor people on here.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 11:41 PM
I had a long think and no. I've never been bitten by a dog.
I grew up with a poodle and chihuahua, owned two jrt's as a teen, a GSD and now a NI and jrt and none have ever bitten.

I have only ever met one dog I was scared of. When I grew up my friend owned a red setter and it always had to be shut awat whenever anyone came round. I was only about 5 - 8 but I can still remember that dog called Rum.

As for cats? That's a totally different ball game and I have plenty of scars!
Luna Wolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-01-2008, 12:04 AM
I have worked with dogs in a host of different environments - clipping & grooming, kennels, rescue, training etc and have been biten several times. Too many to list but most not serious but several needed treatment at hospital.
The worst ones were
a Doberman who had been mistreated and thought I was going to hurt her. She put some nasty holes in the back of my leg. It wasn't her fault and she wasn't put down.
I almost lost my thumb trying to seperate two dogs that were fighting, that was my own stupid fault!
A Labrador bit my arm for no apparent reason, just lunged at me and latched on, left me with severe swelling and bruising. That one was a boarder and went home at the end of his stay so I don't know what happened.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-01-2008, 12:54 AM
Age 4 ,bitten on the ankle by a Border Collie, I was running out of a neighbours house and the dog was laying under a chair and rushed out to grab me.
My fault/dog not put to sleep

Age 19, Badly bitten on the hand by Cocker Spaniel, splitting up two fighting stud dogs, required hospital treatment.
My fault/ (I figured the dogs were more valuable than me ) dogs not put to sleep..
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 01:44 AM
I was bitten several times by our collie. He was not PTS for biting me but was later after attacking a friend and our other dog and diagnosed with a brain tumour. Nobody was very badly bitten but on each occasion it was always shortly after he had waken up. He didn't just bite he backed you up into the wall and kept attacking until suddenly going back to his normal happy self asthough he didn't realise what he had just done.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Oh God ! I never said it was about collies, I was just commenting ! I've known loads too that have never bitten. I'll keep quiet in future - I thought this site had changed since when I used to come on here a few years ago, but obviously not.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 03:20 PM
I was about 22, and was wandering back home across a large grassed area with a friend after a party at an RAF station, where I was posted at the time. It was just after sunrise on a cold crisp autumn morning. We werent noisy, just chatting normally.

Far in the distance, we saw a chap playing with two Dobes, but as we were walking in the opposite direction, didnt give it too much thought.
Suddenly there was a yell (chap trying to recall his dog), and on turning saw this powerful beast thundering toward us. It flew at the lad I was with - didnt bite him, just knocked him to the ground (and he wasnt a small bloke either), then as I turned to see if he was ok I felt a painful pressure in my thigh, and on looking down, saw that the Dobe had its jaws clamped around it! Luckily for me I had on a long and thick coat on, and the dog didnt decide to 'shake' his 'prey'.
Instinctively, I growled 'leave it', and amazingly, it b*ggered off from whence it came...although I suspect that was more luck than judgement on my part!

The owner of the dog made no attempt to come over and see if we were ok, and as soon as his dog returned, scurried off in the opposite direction.

We were both shaken, and my thigh bruised, but otherwise none the worse for wear!

Although I was single and childless at the time, I can remember thinking, what would have happened a) had I not had the coat on, or b)and had it been a child rather than an adult this dog had in its sights!
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2008, 03:23 PM
All breeds of dog can and will bite if pushed to it i am the proud owner of 3 border collies and trust them my kids can take food of the dogs but its not something i would get them to do i consider my self a responsible owner and am not to telling adults off who let there kids just come and stroke my collies with out asking me first how do they know what my dogs are like they dont,i have had many argument about it and will proably have a few more.Collies can be nippy but if you are going to own a collie you should have read about them first, you wouldnt go and drive a car with out learning to drive first (well normal folk dont )
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Exactly Border1, that is exactly what I was trying to say, that collies can be nippy. They have more of a tendency to be nippy than, say a husky. Because they are bred for rounding up sheep. This is the point I was trying to make, I wasn't saying that all collies are bad with children, I knew a wonderful welsh collie called Nell who was absolutely fantastic with children.

But if you troll through the posts on this thread, my point is proven - that collies do have a tendency to be nippy. It is not a criticism, I was just making an observation. I am still smarting from having my head bitten off !
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 05:14 PM
please dont start an argument on this thread !! lOl
part of the reason i started it was to get a general idea of dog bites and i do want to see what breeds were reponsible against the amount of bites but its not an agenda at any particular breed - what it has proven so far to me is there have been very very few bites by bullbreeds which i do find very interesting with the current arguments on all the other threads recently with everything thats going on in the media !!, but i would like to be able to collate the statistics and post seperately so no arguing or i will have pages of posts to go through !!!

thankyou though for all the stories and experiences shared, its been very interesting

Page 6 of 19 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »