Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2016, 05:38 PM

Poppy v The Vet

The time has come round again - time for Poppy's annual boosters and health check and what a battle I'm in for. Now I know most dogs dislike the vets but Poppy hates it with a vengeance. She also appears to be getting worse as she gets older. I can't even get her on the scales in the waiting room and once we're in the consulting room she's panicking so much, dragging me towards the door. Health check, that's a laugh, it's all the vet can do just to give her the annual jab and then that's it.

About 2 years ago I had to take her there straight from a walk because she got a grass seed in her ear and she had to be sedated to even let the vet examine her ear! And more recently I took her to get her nails clipped. The nurse had to put a muzzle on her (she doesn't like her paws touched), but she was almost hyperventilating, pawing the muzzle, trying to get it off and the noise....well we had to abandon the job.

Now I'd dearly like for Poppy to have a more thorough health check at this imminent appointment. Do you guys have any tips you can give me because I mean she is really bad and I look a complete fool usually saying "she's not like this at home"

One thing I will mention is when Poppy was about 2, at her annual visit for boosters she gave an awful yelp of pain when the vet injected her. So is my dog a true wimp with an extremely low pain threshold?

I'd appreciate any comments.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Have you tried having very short sessions with Poppy where you touch her paw and then give her praise, until she is accepting of you doing this
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2016, 06:54 PM
Thanks tawneywolf, I have tried that but she gets distressed. I shall persevere.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2016, 07:38 PM
No help sorry my lot love the vet but I feel your pain where paws and nails are concerned. Phoenix my Black Pug runs off if I so much as look at her feet, I've tried everything to convince her but she's not having it.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2016, 08:13 PM
Ask the vet if he/she can do the exam part in your car or outside in the car park and ask if they would remove their coat to do it. You can always take her in afterwards for her jab. It might just take the association of the surgery away enough for her to be examined
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-07-2016, 07:35 AM
It won't help this year, but if you make a habit of taking her to the vet once a week or so and praising/treating her for any calm behaviour she will eventually get less stressed. If she is really bad you might need to start with just walking past.

My parents had a Cavalier who had to be carried in through the front door, and the entire time he was inside he screamed at the top of his voice. That vet agreed to come outside and do the annual jabs and health check in the car park. It took two years of walking past, then walking to the door and away, and finally walking in and straight out again before he would behave. It's lucky the vet was only just down the road!
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-07-2016, 03:18 AM
Just be patience! I know your pup will learn it just take him every week to vet for training session.