Our sister sites
VanessaVDB
New Member!
Female 

04-07-2016, 10:43 AM

Introducing a second dog into our home

Hey all

I have a 9 week old dachshund x Jack Russell female

I'd like to get her a companion, but I've been advised that it would be best to steer clear of same sex as well as a dog that is too close to her age - apparently it's best if I get a doggy that is a bit older, like 6 months older I hear. Also I've been told that the better trained the first puppy is the better off we will all be.

Is this true? What are your experiences and what can you recommend?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2016, 11:18 AM
I think she's way too young at the mo for you to bring in another dog of any age. Concentrate on her training and think about a second dog when the first has a solid foundation in training. There is no magic age to do it or magic formula for getting the mix right re the sexes, all my dogs have always got on but I don't take any nonsense.
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2016, 12:41 PM
Yeah I also agree about Trouble said! Don't agree about your plan to get one another puppy! For now you need to focus on your 8 week old puppy until he will be at the right age!