register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Should bitches be walked during their season?
Yes they should be kept indoors for the whole of the season. 11 25.58%
No, they should be taken for walks on lead. 24 55.81%
They should be kept indoors from day 9 - 22. 8 18.60%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by catsta2001 View Post
I felt for Hector and he just didnt know what to do. He was at her constantly. Luckily he has had the snip.
poor sole, they do get in a real tazzy over girlys
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Oooo now i'm torn whether to get bitch spray or not!

Although it is a good idea I don't think we are going to be able to carry her to the car and back! We don't have a drive so would have to carry her down the path and along the road to wherever we have managed to park the car. She's almost 4 stone now!!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-09-2008, 07:24 PM
I cant vote for any, as it depends imo on what happens. When Skye was in season she was taken on a short walk first thing in the morning and we never seen another dog and this was enough that she didnt go crazy.

If however I took her out and she had loads of dogs sniffing round or loads coming to the house(we had 2 but out the front for a couple of mins) I would have kept her in.

So what I am trying to say it depends on if you get alot of problems, would the dog cope being kept in. Also if people do decide to take them out be responsable, go to no dog areas, keep them on the lead, and what I did was try not to go to far from safety, home, or if you drive try not to go to far from the car.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Well I took hol out, on the lead round the street, after she had been washed and spayed to reduce the sent.
Also less busy times of the day/night to reduce the risk of running into any other dogs.
I think they still need exercise even if the time out is reduced, and other things help to aviod any possible problems.
If i kept her in for the full period she would be climbing up the walls with frustration.
When you think they are used to daily exercise then nothing for a few weeks it is going to have an impact to some degree.
I did this and never had any problems, or males at my door, maybe i was lucky but as she is done now, its some thing i won't know.
Even if another dog was near her (tob), she wouldn't allow them to get close to her back end, not that type of girl....lol
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:31 PM
we had a problem a few years ago with a JRT who was the romeo of the area, he came morning noon and night, this was just from the smell of her in the garden,,, chewed the front door and everything, he was a nightmare, but he was a kind of latch key dog if you know what I mean, I think he was a real escape artist too, they ended up re-homing him,
since then I havent had any problems,
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Yep i definately think not walker her would be detrimental to her........and the cat come to that matter!!

I'm a bit confused about "non dog areas" and "Non residential areas". How do you define them and if you don't walk there what are the other options?!!

We won't walk in the local park or the woods opposite us which i would say are doggy areas, but if we shouldn't walk in residential areas that means we can't walk around the streets (which was my other plan)....so where do we walk? Industrial estates?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:34 PM
I suppose that is one good thing about our area, you never see a dog walking on its own.

Of course we may well see some while Tonks is in season!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I would just try to think of the best route for you, if you know there is not going to be many dogs in the woods then that would be ok, I guess you will just have to play it by ear,

ETA: some bitches can be quite funny with other bitches in season too, just a thought
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I used to go round the streets, just at funny times.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
lol, funny my lads hate bitch spray, thats why I mentioned it, it seems to put them off a bit

Maybe they have changed the perfume since then Shona LOL
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »