Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 05:16 PM

would you complain?

I recently took a friends child to have his plaster cast removed.We were talking to the nurse while she was doing it and she told us(can't remember how we got on the subject) that TB injections in our schools have been stopped UNLESS the child is NOT white british.They now only give TB jabs to children from mixed race or ethnic backgrounds.
Now to me this is racism....it has been kept totally quiet with letters going out to white families explaining that TB jabs are no longer needed by SOME children.Should I contact local papers etc?
Nikki
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 05:22 PM
to me that is racism,of the highest degree,of that the nhs is saying if your black,or mixed race your more likely to get tb,i would look into it a bit further first then contact the papers xx
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Surely that is putting the children who aren't immunised at risk?? I doubt you could claim it was racist, they have probably looked at the statistics and found that certain areas carry a higher risk of TB infection, however I would be furious if a child who wasn't immunised just because of their colour came into contact with someone who had TB and thus contracted the disease - surely they don't think that everyone segregates themselves from people of different races, this is utterly ridiculous
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 05:29 PM
They do not blanket immunise with the BCG injection anymore, as some areas have no cases of TB at all. However, ethnic groups do have a higher incidence, even if their grandparents were the ones living in a country with a high incidence.

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068684/

Maybe the nurse could've explained it better.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 05:33 PM
my kids are all white and here in ni all the kids in my local primary school have had the jabs done xx
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
my kids are all white and here in ni all the kids in my local primary school have had the jabs done xx
Wrong jabs, BCG is the one you were offered at about 13 years old, so not primary school kids. The blanket immunisation stopped in August 2005 I think.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 05:43 PM
no it was the bcg that is the one with the pricks first then the jab after to see if youv got imunisation,isnt it they were 11 at the time as the summer time was spent with them complaining of there very sore arm.and comparing scares at the start of high school,then if any kids missed they got in the first year at high as my daughter missed,they start them at school here at 4 and into reception clas.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Yes i would complain archer im not a mum sadly , i was never blessed .
But i would like to think that all children regardless of race or background had equal rights in health issues jmo
mforster85
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2007, 06:05 PM
i would as everyone should be entitled to the jab whether there in a high case area or not although on a different note they could make the silly jab less painfull haha i still have a mark on my arm!argh lol
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2007, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=beckyc;1008389] The blanket immunisation stopped in August 2005 I think.[/QUOTyes becky your right my son didn;t have the BCG this year

it just goes to show that the BCG sceme over the years has worked its said that its a very very low risk disease now
the reason its given to certain ethnic groups now is due to their parents and grandparents etc that may still be carriers who may not have lived in the UK when the immunisation programme began ( all those years ago )

I don;t think the real reason is racist perhaps her remarks were it just means those in high risk groups continue with the jabs
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >