Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 01:51 PM

Treatment for ripped pads

What is the best treatment? Ripley and mav have both damged their pads on this mornings walk, ripleys isnt so bad but mav has ripped every pad on both front feet.

So far I have bathed in salt water and they will probably just get a walk on lead in a field with soft grass tomorrow- if at all.

Mav has his first competition in a week so really hoping they are better by then
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Bessie (RIP) ripped all 4 of her large pads when she decided it would be fun to climb a rock with barnacles on it. Suddenly she just collapsed and I thought she had had some kind of seizure. She couldn't walk at all but didn't seem ill. We took her to the vet that evening expecting something terrible, but when the vet turned her over, she had no covering on any of her pads! Poor soul...they were raw. She gave her a painkiller and some antibiotics and we didn't walk her for a couple of days and she was fine. But I have to say if I'd have thought of looking at her pads on the beach, I wouldn't have taken her to the vets, I'd have treated her myself as you are doing. Salt water and maybe sudocrem.
Since then both Jenny and Poppy have scraped their pads and I've just done the above, kept them clean and they're both fine now.