Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
and if i need cake i go to ASDA
Love it!
I can see the bumper sticker now 'Real Dog Owners Don't Have Time to Bake'
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Love winter.....tiz the season of the sled dog!

Our guys are out more in the winter months. Head torches, wellies, big coats and trapper hats, and that's just the dogs!

Cleaning up mud and drying down dogs is second nature. If the weather is really terrible I get the whole woods to myself though I do get into trouble from OH for walking them on my own in the dark. Have to be a real 'crazy' to come near me when I've got Jacub out a hike!

I find the summer months much more of a challenge. The guys are either out at silly AM times or very late in the evening when it's cooler.

Take care.

Seoniad.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
The walks aren't a problem it's the cleaning up afterwards.
A 45 min walk followed by a half hour cleaning session x 3 times a day and that's half a day gone this isn't accounting for the time taken to wash wellingtons and muddy clothes.
I never wash my wellies and my winter dog walking coat gets washed once a year

Our routine at the minute is an hour walk in the morning (onlead if it's still dark). Then another hour or so at about 3pm (to avoid all the other muppets). They used to get a walk round the block on an evening, but neither want to go out once it's dark and cold so they just go in the garden.

I'm lucky that both my dogs are very happy to stay indoors snuggled up in the warm and don't seem to suffer if they don't get loads of off lead time. I just do some training/playing with them instead if it's bad weather. Tilly especially hates to be out in the cold. She shivers like mad even with her coat on.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
.....does anyone else have dog walking trousers/jeans that are ALWAYS filthy even after being washed? You know, the ones that are permanantly dirty as the mud is ingrained in to the material..... Yep, tramp springs to mind!
I have three pairs of tracky bottoms that are like that
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
same routine here as well, we just walk with head torches, i quite like it, because theres nobody else there, as for the cleaning and all the rest of it, cleaning gets done as and when and if i need cake i go to ASDA
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Love it!
I can see the bumper sticker now 'Real Dog Owners Don't Have Time to Bake'
I love it!

Can I have a sticker, please.....
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Yay! You are a 'real' dog owner then!
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 05:51 PM
I got a pair jeans just the same and Stuart got a pair of Trackys and the laminate as you come in the door is well ...not exactly spic and span.
Bed covers are chocolate brown, rugs are browns and darker browns!! LOL some folk must think we are daft for colour coordinating our houses to go with our dogs!! But it saves on cleaning - till the summer - ok... maybe spring if it's a dry one
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
I take my boys out in the dark evenings for an hour and a half with my friend and her Briard, whatever the weather. Sometimes when I come home from work it's the very last thing I want to do, but I am soooooo glad I have once I get out in the fresh air. The mud gets hosed off when we get back and after a quick rub with a towel, they lie on their beds on a towel eating a pigs ear. Then they crash in front of the fire to dry off properly. It's not so bad and the alternative is life without them which is certainly not an option.

What a gorgeous photo!

Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Those of you with a park/open space nearby - are they lit (paths etc?), and are you ok walking your dog with a torch?

Because of where we live (rural area), we have hardly any street lights, and the majority of the roads (single track, no pavement) and footpaths are absolutely pitch black after about 4pm.

The only open space we can walk the dogs off lead is the beach, which, in the dark, or even with a torch, I wouldn't feel safe letting the dogs off lead. It's difficult enough in the daylight, having to control them both. There are foxes, badgers, sinkholes filled with water, sharp rocks, not to mention the dead fish/animals washed onto the beach. And that's when the tide is out!!

Our only option in the winter is a 1 mile round walk on pavements, with no chance of an off-lead run at all
Same here. We have a lit street walk around the village but otherwise it's open fields and I would NEVER walk my dog in the pitch black.

I guess after the time I was followed I've lost abit of my confidence walking alone anyway but at night, never.

Don't we all????

I think for me it's a case of getting into a set routine with him which I'll focus on in the New Year. Today was the last day of this until then anyway as am in Surrey all day tomorrow on a photo shoot, day off on Friday and then he's in the office with me Mon/Tue/Wed next week then I'm off for Christmas until the 4th Jan. So, will steal some tips form you lot and get a plan going in the NY. As Max says, the alternative is life without them and I am no way going down that road!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Well, I have to admit to being fairly lucky compared to you lot..

Up at 8am, but usually have to wake Bruno up and force him out the door for a widdle.
Get luca off to whatever class we have in morning, if its his playgroup days then Bruno usually gets a walk just the two of us, either up to clermiston hill or into the car and down to the fields for some offlead fun.
If its a luca day then he doesnt get his walk to the afternoon and its onlead beside the buggy and about 30 minutes.
He then will pop in th garden around teatime and then hubby takes him out for a walk about midnight before bed. The rest of the time he snores his head off in various areas of the house.

He only gets offlead at weekends and thats usually about up to an hour.

He hates the rain and wont go out in it, so that cuts out half the winter months for us !!

I have an easy dog I think .....

oh and i dont wash wellies either !! LOL
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
I got a pair jeans just the same and Stuart got a pair of Trackys and the laminate as you come in the door is well ...not exactly spic and span.
Bed covers are chocolate brown, rugs are browns and darker browns!! LOL some folk must think we are daft for colour coordinating our houses to go with our dogs!! But it saves on cleaning - till the summer - ok... maybe spring if it's a dry one
You're actually colour co-ordinating with the mud there but I know what you mean! We're the same.
Page 6 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »