Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 09:45 AM

OH's birthday wish

Hi guys

Most of you know that I have a very generous, kind and loving OH who is absolutely fantastic :smt007 .

He's celebrating a big birthday this year, and he has been not so subtly dropping hints about what he would like So I've been taking notes as a good wife does

Except he knocked me over for a sixer when he said he'd like another GSD for his birthday this year

Now I am in a dilemma as I'm not so keen to have another dog just yet - our house is small, and I'm the one who has to clean it and look after our lovely dog Fern.

Since we run our business from home it's usually a struggle to keep Fern quiet when our clients call, so I'm just imagining trying to keep two dogs under control while trying to do business.

OH knows I'm not so keen to get another dog right now but I feel bad about it as OH gives me the stars in the sky

What would you do in my situation?
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 09:50 AM
I would tell him how you feel I totally understand where your coming from let him know it would make life alot easier you never know he may agree with you in the end
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Tricky one, think I'd go and get anothe doglet
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Hmmm I think you might be taking on a bit much in getting another GSD now to be honest whilst Fern is still so young. They are lovely but very boisterous and bouncy. I was considering getting another one when Sabre was 10 months old and someone advised me against it. I did actually get another one that was 4 years old and she was lovely and very well trained but Sabre just wouldn't leave her alone and he was only about 15 months or so himself and she got really fed up of him bouncing on her all the time and it was really hard work with two so my sister decided to have her
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2006, 10:48 AM
I would buy him a lovely (as expensive as you can afford) porcelain GSD figurine. Or, commission a portrait of Fern, or have a professional photo of Fern taken and nicely framed.

Really not a good idea to get a puppy yet. Fern is still young and learning his manners, and you both need to be 100% committed to the idea - 100% & 90%, or even 99%, is not good enough
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 10:54 AM
I think a proffessional photo of Fern would be really good - i'm sure if you explain to him that you're not ready yet until Fern is a bit older he'll understand - why not look into a breeder thats has a litter planned for a year or two?
H xx
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 10:55 AM
I agree with most comments on here, Im sure he'll understand if you say eventually you can both get one but now is a bit too soon.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks one and all - okay I'll put my foot down on this one politely

I really like the thought of a portrait of Fern, contemporary style black and white perhaps - excellent idea, thanks SB

The great thing is about his birthday is that he has so many things that he would love to have that I don't think he'll be too disappointed not to get another dog at the moment.

Just have to word it well
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
I would buy him a lovely (as expensive as you can afford) porcelain GSD figurine. Or, commission a portrait of Fern, or have a professional photo of Fern taken and nicely framed.

Really not a good idea to get a puppy yet. Fern is still young and learning his manners, and you both need to be 100% committed to the idea - 100% & 90%, or even 99%, is not good enough

Shadowboxer why are you always so senisble ,i wish i could borrow your head sometimes ,as i know that given the choice i would nearly always go for the pup oh well they say theres one born every minuet
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 05:55 AM
Follow your instincts on this one MC - too early for another puppy, and you BOTH have to really want one. Good luck
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >