View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2006, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE=Tabatha]I must say that I find the comment that 2 dogs are four times the work of one dog quite humourous; I own 12 dogs so I gather that in your mind you must think that I have the work of 48 dogs??

Well, that is NOT the case AT ALL. The worst is when any breed of dog goes through the puppy phase in which they tend to be very destructive but as they mature it definitely gets easier and I am certainly not snowed under with work, that's for sure

Perhaps people have a different perception as to what hard work is all about, for some individuals every little bit is too much

I have only just seen this post so I would like to respond now.

For several years now I have always had two dogs at any one time, I own large breed dogs. I have owned both German Shepherds and Rottweilers together until the last couple of years whereby Ozzy is our only dog.

Perhaps owning 12 Cavaliers isn't hard work to you, but owning two large breeds together I find at times was. Maybe this is because I have high expectations of what I want from my dogs in terms of levels of obedience and what I find is acceptable.

When I stated that they are four times the work, I did not simply mean in terms of their puppy phase and destructiveness (but that alone is a trying time of course) I meant it in the terms that ShadowBoxer stated training is more difficult ie: one dog will often encourage another to misbehave it is harder to control two than one alone. There is more mess in the garden, the house I meant it on a variety of levels. Upon re-reading this thread it is clearly apparant that other members agree with me on this.

I don't believe you should cast aspersions on people that you do not know, I find the comment "every little bit is too much" offensive NOT the statement about finding things "humorous". You state that you think you've stated things in a professional and sophisticated manner, I found your comments rather inflammatory and presumptuous - I am extremely hard working person, most of all with regards to training. I do not like the implication behind your words that suggests I don't like hard work.

I have disciplined my dogs over the years in various fields including obedience/agility/showing and working trials and gained qualifications in these fields of which I am immensly proud. I like my dogs to be more than pets, they use thier brains when they are with me. I like them to be strongly disciplined and obedient, but this is much harder to achieve with two dogs together. Training must be done separately - twice the time-scale required and twice the effort is it not?

Training aside, I don't believe anyone can say that there isn't twice as much mess/fur and housework with two dogs as opposed to one. Two dogs DO make more mess of course they do! More shedding of fur, more muddy paws it all does add up! Large breeds like mine make for huge amounts of housework, I don't mind housework like the next person, but it is much more difficult with two than one.

I believe it is very important for owners to be aware that owning two dogs is not a walk in the park and it is harder work. Part of this forum is to give advice and be helpful and I believed I was doing so by saying this. It would be misleading to state that there is no difference at all between owning two dogs and just one.

There are many advantages to owing two dogs, such as the companionship and yes, twice the pleasure - but drawbacks should be highlighted. I am sure Fern will love her new friend and I wish her owners the best of luck finding the right breed.

Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion - I am thick skinned myself and indeed have not complained about the tone of your post as you may be thinking. You have your opinion and I have mine, I stick by what I said regardless.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4