View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Hmm let me think a type of Spaniel???? Well I really don't know what to suggest??

Only kidding!!! Got to be an English Springer MC, king of Spaniels (no offence! ) Granted they can be a bit mad, will make your head spin most days but at least you're laughing at the same time! And there's always lots of rescue ones looking for homes (sadly).
Tabatha
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2006, 02:13 AM
Originally Posted by Ozzysmom
I can understand how your OH wants another dog, we were like that and this is in fact the first time we HAVEN'T owned two! Must admit personally I much prefer one dog now, although you get twice the pleasure with two dogs it is about quadruple the hard work and mess!

I wish you all the best with your second dog, I am sure Fern will get along famously with whichever breed you decide on.

I must say that I find the comment that 2 dogs are four times the work of one dog quite humourous; I own 12 dogs so I gather that in your mind you must think that I have the work of 48 dogs??

Well, that is NOT the case AT ALL. The worst is when any breed of dog goes through the puppy phase in which they tend to be very destructive but as they mature it definitely gets easier and I am certainly not snowed under with work, that's for sure

Perhaps people have a different perception as to what hard work is all about, for some individuals every little bit is too much

I own cavaliers and find them more laidback and easier to control than cocker spaniels which tend to be amiable dogs but nevertheless quite boisterous and hyperactive. I would defenitely stick with the cavaliers and make sure that he/she receives adequate training esp. the "recall". Cocker spaniels have a tendency to bark at just about everything from birds to spiders and the mere sight of water is irresistible to them and before long they are swimming in it, muddy, murky or sparkling clean
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

21-01-2006, 03:13 AM
Tabatha - don't you think it's a personal opinion how much extra work she thinks it is? She certainly doesn't need you to tell her you find her opinion on the matter humerous - especially when it, well, isn't - I can quite believe it when she says her two dogs were almost four times the work, I reckon two of my Rockys would be about 5 times the work, why? Because he becomes a little nutter when he is in canine company! And I don't say that lightly!!

I think you need to spend a bit more time reading the threads here on Dogweb to see what we find acceptable posting manner and what not. There's no room for even the slightest bitchyness here.

Perhaps you didn't mean it, perhaps you did - but as I have just deleted another post of yours I think I ought to spell out that Dogweb is a fun, fair and friendly place, to be part of the community we respect each other. Those that do not are shown the door.

Off course everyone are allowed their own opinion, in fact we welcome that, but all we say is respect others when putting them forward.
Tabatha
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2006, 05:46 AM
No, I wasn't trying to be bitchy at all; I didn't think that using the word "humorous" was going to be offensive; maybe I am thicker skinned than most, maybe others are too thin skinned, I don't know but since this is the case I will try and weigh my words more carefully. I agree that some forums are out of control but surely if an opinion is put forward in a sophisticated manner without using profanities then it shouldn't be a problem? my understanding was that forums were about sharing different opinions.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2006, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by Ozzysmom
: Must admit personally I much prefer one dog now, although you get twice the pleasure with two dogs it is about quadruple the hard work and mess!
I do agree that having two can seem like not only four times the work but sometimes ten times If one wants both to be well-mannered, well socialized, well adjusted, well trained, then the effort must be made to make time to work individually with the new dog/pup: walk separately, train separately, separate 'together' time in order to bond properly, etc. Also, two dogs can most certainly make four times the mess as one Egging on each other at digging resulting in vast holes is one example that readily springs to mind Also seeing who can make the most muddy pawprints on the carpet When off-lead you need four pairs of eyes instead of the usual two pair. Once they both know what is what and what is acceptable behaviour then it is great fun for owner and dogs, but the initial period can be wearing to say the least
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 11:53 AM
SB and Ozzysmom I agree with you to some extent... it can quadruple the work in terms of mess, or when they're doing something norty together and pretending to be deaf

But on the other had, they are a lot less hard work in that they will play with each other if you don't have time, and you don't have to feel guilty Of course I still play with each dog separately, but if I don't have time to play with Archie I no longer feel guilty because I know Ziggy will play with him Also on a personal lever it has reduced the amount of work I used to do with Archie, because he no longer has SA
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Well I have to agree that 2 dogs is much harder than 1! I would also suggest that you wait until your first dog is mature otherwise training can be very hard trying to continue training with a juvenile and also coping with a pup.
The main thing though that I would like to say refering to the orginal post is that getting a dog as company for another dog is not a good reason.A dog should be brought because its what YOU BOTH want...no other reason.At the end of the day the dogs may not even get on let alone be company for each other!
If you decide another dog is what you want how about a mature rehome?
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Archer
Well I have to agree that 2 dogs is much harder than 1! I would also suggest that you wait until your first dog is mature otherwise training can be very hard trying to continue training with a juvenile and also coping with a pup.
The main thing though that I would like to say refering to the orginal post is that getting a dog as company for another dog is not a good reason.A dog should be brought because its what YOU BOTH want...no other reason.At the end of the day the dogs may not even get on let alone be company for each other!
If you decide another dog is what you want how about a mature rehome?
Actually we got Ziggy to keep Archie company.... his nickname is "Archie's £186 toy" or "Archie's xmas present" I know it sounds mean but we don't mean it that way.... But I agree with you Archer that if you don't really want another dog and you're only getting it for that reason, forget it. (I don't think that's what Ingrid's situation is though)

but we love him just as much and Archie and wouldn't be without him
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 05:48 PM
I think it is so much fun to research other breeds and best of luck with whatever you decide.

I have always owned GSD and didn't think there would be another breed for me, but when I decided to get a second dog, I also wanted something a bit smaller as my house/car couldn't really cope with two large dogs. I wanted a breed that would compliment my GSD, enjoy similar activity levels and training etc. I did consider english springers, as I have friends who own them and they are such active, happy little dogs. I also looked at working cocker spaniels but eventually went for a border collie, which is more to my "taste" really.

I am sure Fern will love having a friend to play with and think an english springer or cocker would be a great choice. Of course if you do fancy either of these two breeds, there are two very distinct types - working and show.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys for all your advice, and thanks Azz for keeping a watchful eye over things

Well, it won't be for some time yet if I get my way (*whispers I usually get my way* )

I will take everything into consideration and if it happens, of course you will all be the first to know

P.S. our breeder came around yesterday to see Fern (he was her pride and joy) it's the first time she's seen Fern since she dropped him off to us 6 months ago, and she was very kind to say that he was a real credit to us, of course we got Fern to show off all he knew - it was a great visit

Hi Mys - the camera is broken, that's why we haven't posted anything - might try and take one with the mobile camera, if its good enough quality I will post it on the forum
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >