View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2006, 09:52 AM
agree never met a neurotic one yet ...pippa and sophie are more playful than the others...my OH is 6ft 2 and 17 st..but has no probs out with the girls infact he says he's very proud to have them
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Lots of food for thought, thank you

I would love an Archie dog, but it would have to be Archie you see and I know you would never give him up so I'm best looking for a spaniel

P.S. T, I haven't come round, I've just laid a few ground rules down before he's allowed another dog
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2006, 11:14 AM
We were going to get another dog when Sabre was 10 month old but was advised against it. We decided to get a female GSD that was four years old which we saw advertised. She was a wonderful dog but it was very hard work and Sabre just wouldn't leave her alone and I couldn't believe how much hard work two GSDs were together. My sister decided to have Lex and so she went to live with them. She wasn't any problem but Sabre was very boisterous and kept jumping all over her and she was fed up to the back teeth of him, all she wanted was to go on a walk and carry a brick in her mouth and she was happy. I do wish we had got another dog when Sabre was about 4 though because although he only knew Benji a few weeks he was fantastic with him and very gentle too now that he had calmed down.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2006, 02:04 PM
So long as Fern plays quite gently and the other smaller dog is the type that would love all the attention and play from a bigger dog that would be good

I couldn't imagine having a much smaller dog with one of mine though as they play to hard and I don't think a smaller dog would like it.

You know Fern though and you know what's right

By the way!! It seems ages since we have seen pics of Fern *hints*
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2006, 02:49 PM
MC when you say spaniel remember there is a big difference between Cavaliers who belong to the toy group and most other spaniels who are part of the working group. Cavs are quite different in temperament, I don't know a lot about them but lodged with a lady who bred and showed Cavs , a Mrs Wild*****. I found Cavs to be quite gentle and jolly little dogs and laid back compared with the more boisterous Cockers and springers (who seem slightly more hyper than Cockers) . I love the little welsh springers , I may be wrong but they don't seem to be as popular as the English.

So in general I would say Cavs if you want a quieter less demanding little dog, if you go for the other spaniels being working breeds they will certainly need more exercise and activity to keep them happy.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2006, 07:01 PM
you can never stop at one!!! ha ha

Spaniels are devine!! ive had experience with all but welsh springers, i love them all, good luck in whatever you decide xx kisses to fern
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2006, 07:04 PM
I can understand how your OH wants another dog, we were like that and this is in fact the first time we HAVEN'T owned two! Must admit personally I much prefer one dog now, although you get twice the pleasure with two dogs it is about quadruple the hard work and mess!

I wish you all the best with your second dog, I am sure Fern will get along famously with whichever breed you decide on.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
MC when you say spaniel remember there is a big difference between Cavaliers who belong to the toy group and most other spaniels who are part of the working group. Cavs are quite different in temperament, I don't know a lot about them but lodged with a lady who bred and showed Cavs , a Mrs Wild*****. I found Cavs to be quite gentle and jolly little dogs and laid back compared with the more boisterous Cockers and springers (who seem slightly more hyper than Cockers) . I love the little welsh springers , I may be wrong but they don't seem to be as popular as the English.

So in general I would say Cavs if you want a quieter less demanding little dog, if you go for the other spaniels being working breeds they will certainly need more exercise and activity to keep them happy.
LOLOLOL Well my cavaliers are very active & JD takes himself off hunting mice(don't have any woodcock around here & he can't get close up & personal with birds thank goodness) I have a friend who lives in "Last of The Summer Wine"country(after her house there is just countryside & no roads etc)& her cavaliers bring back rabbits(dead but healthy before the dogs catch them)

Many people treat them like"toy"dogs but in truth most are not far removed from the Churchills dual purpose Companion & hunting dogs. Of all the "Toy"breeds they are the most untoy like. Now King Charles are a difference matter

The Cavaliers were bred to resemble the pre Victorian King Charles Spaniels(the victorian ladies-especially Dueen Victoria-preferred their dogs to have flat more human faces hence the change in appearance of the KC in the 19th century) & there is believe it or not an estate in Scotland where the woodcock are hunted using a team of Cavaliers & not the large sized ones either !

Quiet ? Hm my GSD rarely barks as an alert the boys do that for her & she simply looks the part as the "guard"dog

They also love exercising with my BC who is working bred & keep up with him-even been known to out think him
Jane L
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2006, 09:05 PM
I love springers, but they can be a bit boisterous, if you want something a bit more laid back go for the CKCS. All of the Cavs I've known have been super little dogs, lovely temperaments and bags of personality. Only thing is, because they're so popular there's been some irresponsible breeding and you need to be aware of some potential health problems. Can't remember the details, but I think there were heart problems in some lines.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2006, 10:19 PM
I guess it was just my family that made Ben neurotic then

Good luck Ingrid with whatever you decide I'm sure fern will be happy!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >