View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2005, 06:56 PM

Collars to identify dogs deemed to be dangerous.

Thought this might be a topic of interest.....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?...ectID=10333998
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Not sure if it would work here-i could just imagine people buying these collars just to 'impress' friends/other peeps of just how dangerous their dog is-even if it isnt.

Our goverment would likely single out certain breeds and make them wear the things all the time.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Hi Steve

I'd be surprised if it works over there as well - remember holidaying in Whakatane many times and dogs were hardly ever on leads, and there didn't seem to be many well trained dogs. But that was years ago, maybe it has changed, not sure.

I agree with what you say regarding the kind of street cred stance it could bring to dog owners.

Big shrug regarding this article.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Hi Maplecottage

Some people already own certain breeds because of reputation and these collars would be the 'icing on the cake' for them to impress others.Personally,i think these collars will further agrevate peoples view on certain breeds if worn because they may assume wrongly all of this group are unsociable towards others.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Think a few people should wear them!
Dawn.
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2005, 09:57 PM
dont you think they would be better worn by the owners of dangerous dogs . kinda like a dog owners asbo .. lol i agree that some people buy certain breeds my breed included so they can look hard to thier friends .. they dont bother training the dog and seem to enjoy the fact that they can be harmfull and some even encourage this aspect ..
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Locally, these collars are only available from councils. The dog has first to have been declared dangerous by court order. The collars are expensive, and the owner of the dog has to pay for them, as well as forking out for muzzles, special fencing, and DD signs. They are regarded more as a badge of shame rather than being used to impress.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-07-2005, 09:28 AM
OH no this is so wrong it's branding every dog on the list as dangerous and thats not fair as you know all dogs are differant.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2005, 03:22 PM
is it just me or does this quote aplly to every dog that feels under threat????

The collar alerts the public that a dog has the potential to bite and should be avoided."
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2005, 07:01 PM
As far as I can tell by readibnt it, and by what SB wrote, it is for dogs that are already 'dangerous' - that have already bitten, and been reported etc