register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: How often do you shampoo your dog/puppy?
Once a week 1 1.64%
once a fortnightly 4 6.56%
once a month 4 6.56%
only when he/she's dirty 52 85.25%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 09:42 AM

How often do you...

wash your puppy or dog
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Never Feet get rinsed off if filthy. I would only bath them if they had rolled in something disgusting. But mine are short-haired, low-maintenance - a weekly go over with a rubber curry brush & chamois leather plus daily wipe of faces, keeps them looking good and smelling sweet. I find a walk in the rain followed by a towel off is all they need in the way of bathing.
SB
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 09:51 AM
I only bath them if they have rolled in something, or sometimes for a show.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Hi Maplecottage ,

Our dog is a Bichon and is white and very curly when his hair grows He soon looks very dirty and scruffy and also he scratches a lot despite having been treated with frontline a few weeks ago, so its not fleas. I have tried numerous shampoos from the vets which don't work so I have started bathing him once a fortnight in Vosene shampoo which seems as good as the ones the vet sold us. He mostly scratches his ears and makes little sores on them When he is professionally cut and groomed (about every 10-12 weeks) I don't bath him as much because his hair is shorter and easier to keep clean.

When we had a German Shepherd dog, we didn't bath him very much (unless he had rolled in something he shouldn't have) We started sending him to the dog groomers twice a year for a bath and general groom and he looked beautiful and smelled lovely when he came back and his coat was so soft and shiny
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks Foxy, Traci and Shadowboxer

I trust Fern will be a mess once he's old enough to come hiking with us

CAN'T WAIT - VERY EXCITED!!!

So is OH - he's been envisaging Fern coming to the door to greet him when he comes home from work....so sweet to see my OH's sensitive side coming out
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 09:56 AM
hi foxy, could ur bichon have exema (sp?), my mums bichon had it when he was little and scratched so much he made himself bleed. just a thought.

i only bath the dogs when they have rolled in something disgusting like fox poo, which is nearly every day
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Cassy is bathed regularly once a week often more depending oon how wet it is where I walk her, she always ends up in bog's. Also she had some skin troubles a while back due to a hormonal problem (started after a false pregnancy) and I like to give her a bath in hibiscrub which seems to soothe her skin & keep it nice.
tjhoe68
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 10:01 AM
I don't bath Barney unless he rolls in something disgusting, which at this stage of his life he hasn't done!

I was told not to bath him too often. So I don't!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Is there any chance that Fern will be a long-coat? (Not related to topic, just curious )
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Well I'm not really supposed to bathe Archie very often, but I'm afraid he loves gardening so he tends to get very dirty and muddy.... I try to bathe him as little as possible, right now that's about once every 2 weeks.

I'm hoping when his puppy fluff comes out and his wire coat comes through, he'll need bathing less often
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >