View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Ah well my siamese will only eat Gourmet Gold the pate collection for wet and for dry she has the whiskas meaty crunchy nuggests. I have tried her on applaws, origen etc but they didn't agree with her and she vomitted a lot which is of course my sign for "back to the originals quick"
Cats need wet food in their diet to keep their liver healthy - all to do with the amount of fluid that they need. I would have a look on a cat forum if you can as they will give you lots of advice

let me edit. i did not explain myself precisely.

i THINK that cats need MOIST food in their diet to maintain their liver. That doesn't mean that it must be canned food because i do believe that fresh meat when raw is moist but of course i am probably wrong...id wait for a more sensible reply ...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Tinglesnark View Post
Ah well my siamese will only eat Gourmet Gold the pate collection for wet and for dry she has the whiskas meaty crunchy nuggests. I have tried her on applaws, origen etc but they didn't agree with her and she vomitted a lot which is of course my sign for "back to the originals quick"
Cats need wet food in their diet to keep their liver healthy - all to do with the amount of fluid that they need. I would have a look on a cat forum if you can as they will give you lots of advice
ermmm ..no they do not.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks for your advice everyone, not sure what type of cat yet, mum would like another siamese, she's had one before and he was lovely he lived until he was 18. Shes seen the cat on the rescue website and is phoning today to see if its still looking for a home. If not there is a lovely blue and white male moggy she likes too.

I will post some pics when she finally gets the cat x
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
ermmm ..no they do not.
errrrrm......OK

that is what i have been told and have read

it would seem that i am incredibly wrong judging by that reaction

as i wasnt very precise in my reply i have edited it...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Tinglesnark View Post
errrrrm......OK

that is what i have been told and have read

it would seem that i am incredibly wrong judging by that reaction
cats only need the intake they get either from wet food or drinking water(if on dry)...you should worry if u see ur cat drinking excessively.... dont know where the liver bit came from
cats have extremely efficient kidneys...but if they are prone to 'cystitis' or stones they should be encouraged to drink slightly more...maybe that is where the confusion is from?
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2011, 01:33 PM
probably
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Actually i was wondering about this - my friend has just bought an ex breeding queen Russian Blue, beautiful cat but not sure of my "friends" intentions, think she may breed from her. I said to her she ought to get her spayed because she'll be pregnant again soon if she lets her out.

The water subject, i was over there the other day and filled her water bowl up as it was empty. My friend tipped it out and put wet food in it so i said oh sorry i thought it was her water bowl so she said no i don't put water down she gets enough from her food ???? eh ? sorry i've always out water down for cats. I'm a bit concerned
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Actually i was wondering about this - my friend has just bought an ex breeding queen Russian Blue, beautiful cat but not sure of my "friends" intentions, think she may breed from her. I said to her she ought to get her spayed because she'll be pregnant again soon if she lets her out.

The water subject, i was over there the other day and filled her water bowl up as it was empty. My friend tipped it out and put wet food in it so i said oh sorry i thought it was her water bowl so she said no i don't put water down she gets enough from her food ???? eh ? sorry i've always out water down for cats. I'm a bit concerned
quite often that is the case but fresh water should always be available regardless...some peeps i dunno
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Ideally, a chicken wing weekly would do all that but it's not easy to get cats interested in them, I know from experience!
I actually wish I had that problem! As soon as I go to give the dogs their wings (either morning or evening) Gina is on the end of the bannister rail screaming at me so I don't forget her wing too! If i do forget then i get screamed at every time i go to the fridge

They aren't too keen on minced chicken, particularly the frozen stuff, but usually they get the wing tips, parsons noses etc from the bags of frames and scrap i get from the market.

I haven't got them on completely raw, just as "extras" They probably get 2 wing tips/noses or half a bigger wing every other day. Daily they get 2 pouches each of whatever pouch food is on offer, in jelly not gravy, and not felix normal food as they throw that back up. They also have a large bowl of burgess supa cat dry food down all the time.

It sounds a lot of food for two cats - but as they are naked they burn a lot off keeping warm and bouncing around the house.

My sister's cat thinks life is unfair as she gets a small handful of Royal Canin Fit Cat (32) a day and no extras as she's on a diet (though my sister tells us it's just that her cat has a particularly small head)
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Wow, Kate, soundsl ike you have two candidates for feline raw feeding there!
Originally Posted by KateM View Post
It sounds a lot of food for two cats - but as they are naked they burn a lot off keeping warm and bouncing around the house.
Now I wonder if their interest in the chicken is because they know they need the extra fat in their diets? I assume it's fat & calories they need, I know that Devon & Cornish Rex benefit from more fat in their diets to keep warm.

Have you tried them on anything like raw breast of lamb? My Siamese & Orientals liked a strip of that occasionally.

Do many naked cat owners (no, that should read: owners of naked cats!!) feed raw? Do they do better on the higher fat content?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >