View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2004, 02:25 AM
"Sitting and watching the world go by" is an excellent experience for young puppies too.
Bon
Almost a Veteran

06-07-2004, 10:35 AM
S.B. you always give such sensible advise.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

07-07-2004, 05:24 AM
Thank you Bon. Now, could you try to convince Mr SB of that....
Bon
Almost a Veteran

07-07-2004, 10:31 AM
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2004, 09:25 AM
we were sitting my this quiet road the other day and a motorcycle pulled up, and he was talking to us, purdey was really well behaved she just sat next to me, she seemed fine with that, i think the distance was perfect, would it be worth asking strangers to stand away from purdey but call her name, and talk to her without approaching her?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

25-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Please do not push her in any way whatsoever. She seems to be doing really well, so do not be tempted to see how much she will take. Have any strangers stand and talk to YOU whilst ignoring Purdey. Give the person a treat to hold and allow Purdey to make up her own mind whether to approach. If she voluntarily goes to the person he/she should offer the treat without making eye contact or speaking to the dog. Certainly do not allow a stranger to attempt to touch her. If she takes the treat do not make a big thing of it. Just ignore it & continue talking with the 'stranger'. Nervousness of unknown people takes a very long time to overcome, if indeed it can be overcome at all. Always, now & in the future, allow Purdey to initiate contact with people she does not know. Any 'false move' could set you & Purdey back months.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2004, 10:17 AM
thanks SB, i know she is a confident dog deep down inside, i just need to unlock it now !

I will continue with your advice, and keep you updated, thanks again

Gem x
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

25-08-2004, 10:47 AM
I'm sure you & Purdey will get there Gems. Keep a good eye on her body language. That, above all else, will let you know how confident/unsure she is feeling. Be aware of her 'comfort zone' and be prepared to go back a bit if she shows any uncertainty. Two steps forward & one step back is still progress.

Let me know how things go.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2004, 10:51 AM
One thing she continously does is when we stop walking, she jumps up at me and bear hugs me, im guessing this is what she does to comfort her, should i let her do that, or just ignore her?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

26-08-2004, 02:54 AM
Don't let her jump up. If this is a 'comfort' thing then, by allowing it, you are 'rewarding' her nervousness (also it is bad manners )

When she does it just say "down" or "off" or whatever word you use and insist, without using a cross voice, that she does get down.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >