Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2005, 08:57 AM

Staring?

As you know we have a 6 yr old JRT, and a 5 and half month old WHWT cross DDT, and as i have mentioned until a few years ago one of my aunts bred Border Terriers and JRT's, now she only has one JRt Edwina is about 9 or 10 so not that old on JRT criteria, considering most live until their late teens/early twentys.
ANyway the past few months she has been staring, at present we are looking after Edwina, until the big part on saturday, as my aunt and her will be tooing and froing and Edwina hates commotion, so she si staying here, but i have noticed, she will eb fine and then all of a sudden she just breaks off staring, either at you or at an object, and she rocks back and forth if she does it for too long, any ideas why? Oh just to add she does suffer with a form of Parkinsons disease, thus why she has shakes sometimes, just incase this may be why
Here are 2 pictures of Edwina

Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Just to add, she also sleeps a hell of a lot!
Best wishes
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2005, 01:28 PM
**** *bump****
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2005, 03:03 PM
I don't want to sound alarmist in any way, but epilepsy is a possibility (maybe I've just got it "on the brain" at the moment - no bad joke intended!). It doesn't always manifest itself as the "grand mal" siezure that my Snorri-dog exhibits.

Look in "Health Issues" for my "Canine epilepsy" post - at the end is a list of links, which includes http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/ - this site is run by the University of Missouri College of Veterinary Medicine: it is both authoritative and informative, and it has a forum through which advice may be obtained from American veterinarians. I found it a great help in the early days, and they have a great deaL of info on what is and what isn't epilepsy, and how to tell the difference. It is sponsored by the American KC Canine Health Foundation, so there are no predatory drug companies putting bias on it. If I remember aright, there is an article on staring. Check it out, it's free and doesn't take a lot of clicking about.

Snorri
("For I AM my brother's keeper, and I WILL fight his fight")
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2005, 03:22 PM
After a considerable amount of b*gg*ring about, the epilepsy link is working now!

Snorri
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Hi Luke I am sorry to hear about this little dog, has the vet seen her..

Originally Posted by Luke
Oh just to add she does suffer with a form of Parkinsons disease,
...it could be many things but I would guess most likley to do with the condition she already has.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi,
Snorri the links were very intersting not too sure if thats what my aunts JRT edwina suffers from though, but it was very similar.
Best wishes
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Hi Mini,
yes the parkinsosn may have something to atribute to this, the poor little darling is blessed with she doesnt have the disease that bad, she only shakes sometimes now due to the medication, it was awfull before.
A vet sees her every fortnight and he did suggest to my aunt that Edwina may be suffering from senile dimencshia (sp?), she seems to get confused soemtimes and also when she stares for too long she dribbles aswell.
Will keep u all informed, but any more information, possibly on going senile in the older dog, will be greatly appreciated
Best wishes
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2005, 09:37 PM
Do a google search for "canine cognitive dysfunction syndrome" OR "cognitive dysfunction syndrome'+dogs.

You might also find this of interest: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/the...dog_13176.html
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 08:09 AM
Had this dicussion with Vet on Wednesday regarding Sweep staring she too said that it is senility, no surprise with Sweep(you'd have to know him to know what I mean) But he is happy in his world and that is all that matters.

Excellent link Shadowboxer
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >