Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 05:44 PM

The best type of Head Collar??

hey everyone...

I was wondering!...

We tried haltis on our dogs with mixed success...They did walk nicely on them but Takoda bit through the safety strap (he was very quick bit through it in a second before I even knew) and also they were riding up into the dogs eyes quite alot They were fitted securly but Takoda managed to take his off completly he used his paw to push it off his nose then wiggled free, lucky we were in a safe area because as I said he had already bitten the safety strap in half and so he was free! maybe we got a size to big??...

Anyway I have been looking at other makes...

I have so far looked at dogmatic and the Gentle Leader...has anyone tried these makes?...are they better...are there other makes that are good??

Don't worry I am not trying to depend on these to take care of pulling on the lead I know I have to train them not to pull and not just rely on these head collars to stop them...We are training them everyday but it is taking time and I would like complete control in some areas when we are not training and they are out and about.

So what type do you all reccomend??
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 06:50 PM
i got one from www.agilitywarehouse.com it was about £12 and claims not to ride up into the dogs eyes.never used it though,i bought a lupine harness instead.agility warehouse have a couple of headcollars or you could do a search for "canny collar" these seem quite popular
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Canny Collars are fantastic...

I tried everything from Halti, gentle leader, harness..

and the Canny Collar is the only one to make a difference..

Unlike the haltis etc the canny collar is connected to a collar so they can't slip it and also the lead is connected at the back rather than under the chin like a halti, so does not pull the head around
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Out of the halti, gentle leader and dogmatic I prefer the dogmatic just because it suits the shape of Star's face better than the others
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 08:22 PM
I have used a halti on Sage and this rode up into his eyes so bought a dogmatic and have not looked back.. Only have to use it for the first 5 minutes of his walk and then can take it off.

Sue
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Also heard Canny Collars are really good, I've put the link on the NI website Mys!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Oh thanks guys, that's all really helpfull, I know we will be able to find one that works so it's good to have feedback from people who have already given them a go...Thank you
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2005, 07:36 AM
Louise , with the canny collar, do you have to clip your lead to both the collar and the harness like you do with a Halti, or is it just one clip to the canny collar, at the moment I have 4 dogs which I want to walk together, although OK in the haltis, having to clip to both collar and the other end of lead to the harness is awkward, not bad to control with two but with 4 leads it can get confusing which lead leads to which dogs halti if I want to correct it.

Mo
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Hi Mo

I use the canny for bruno too - just started - I can clip the straps of the collar to his harness so he cannot escape - but the canny is quite a secure collar in itself, so you dont necessarily have to clip it on to collar - will try and post a piccy of bruno in his collar later so you can see it.

dani
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2005, 09:22 AM
well I have been doing some homework on the subject and now I am not really much better off with more choice because I just don't know which one will be best....lol...

This is what I found...

Kumfi DogAlter

Gentle Leader

DogMatic

Canny Collar

A search will bring the relevant websites up for each product...

I have read reviews and talked to some people that use the different types, some say the Canny Collar does ride up into their eyes some say it doesn't!...same with all the others...The one I haven't heard anyone say anything about it cutting in under their eyes or riding up is the Dogmatic.

I think this one is going to be trial and error!

I would love to carry on hearing any input on the different collars available thiough if you have had experiance of them...

Dani, look forward to seeing the pic of Bruno in his
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >