Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-07-2005, 03:27 PM

There may be trouble ahead!

EEK!
Well as u know both my dogs aswell as pets are used as working terriers, although thier true time dedicated to this has become numerically small due to family commitments, at the present its basically catching things either whilst wandering up at my aunts stables or catching something whilst out on walkies.
Anyway U also know we have a cat, a little tortie ragdoll cross, and both the dogs are fine with her, especially Florrie ou Westie cross Dandie Dinmont, she thinks Clem is mummy, and our JRT just is used to cats, not this cat as she is only 2 but we had cats when we first got our JRt>
ANyway today the dogs were in the garden, and a neighbours cat trying to get into on of our rabbit hutches!
Florrie seing this took it upon herself to defend her territory, chased the cat but it was realkly frightning she almost cught it, she biut it on the shoulder, but i think it had a bigger pop at her then she did it, lassarating FLorries muzzle.
ANyway our JRT has never done this, but Florrie seems to jhave a higher prey drive, she has already killed onme of the nieghbours ring necked doves. We are really worried that one day she may do some damage.
Any ideas how to prevent this from happenning?
Any other people out there have similar problems or experiences?
best wishes
Dibley
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Have you taught her the leave command?
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Yes she does what she is told, but we werent in the garden when she decided she wanted to destroy this cat, i just heard her yelp, when it scratched her, and by the time i got out there she was already trying to pin it, i whistled for her and she left it, but i'm worried that one day there aint gonna be knowone around and a cat may be foolish to enter the garden,
the funny thing is, our cat was stretched out on the patio whilst all this was going on, and Florrie ignored her completely.
Herm odd little girl LOL
best wishes
Dibley
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-07-2005, 03:51 PM
aww bless her! It wasnt really her fault though? So it's a difficult one! As an owner you can only do your best (which you are undoubtedly doing). If you are with her just tell her to leave. If not it's really out of your control. Not much help I know but at least you've done everyhing you can.

She's protecting her family bless her
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Explain to the neighbours that your dogs will defend what is yours especially if it is on your property, their territory, so it would be as well if they kept their cat out of your garden. Know they can't but at least you will have done your best to warn them.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Oh dear me Luke...

I'm sorry I dont have any advice, but maybe the "leave" command as Dibley suggests?

I hope you get this solved
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Hi Dibley, thanks she is only doing what the blood that pulses through her veins tells her to.
Jackie- i ahve told this particular neighbour numerous times, to be carefull as i wouldnt like the dogs to hurt their cats, my response from them is very sterile, i usually get told that we have a cat and she doesnt get bothered. They are somewhat uncoperative to say in the least.
Jeanette-thanks but theres not much else i can do, like ive said afore sometimes my dogs are worked, but they have been brought up to do so, and on Florries behalf, her mother and her father, and her grandparents, on both sides, as i ahve been informed have allways been woking dogs, (although people dont really work westies nor dandies nor crosses of the two, cant imagine why), therefore the blood of working dogs flows through her veins, it is her instinct to chase, attack and kill anything that is strange to her and that she see's as prey
thanks all for your resposnes
best wishes
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2005, 04:24 PM
I thought that if you "worked" a terrier you taught it at an early age what it is supposed to actually kill? therfore satisfy thier prey drive,and killing the designated pest, rather than the dog killing anything it sees and wants? perhaps actually getting in touch of some people that work their dogs full time could teach you, how to teach the dog, the difference between legitmate prey and the local wildlife?

Mo
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Hi Mo,
the thing is, as she is young she is, as most terrier people would expect a little unruly, i dont think she would seriouslly harm the cat, but there is a *****ling piece of doubt in the back oif my mind.
I think it may be more of a territory thing, as she see's cats all the time on walks, and she never does anything, and as most of the people in our family ahve cats, and she was born in a house with six persians, tow moggies, and a Maine coon she doesnt hate cats.
But i truly believe she is basically trying to defend her territory, as she was fine until the cat started poking around by the rabbit hutch, and as she was 12 weeks old when a fox came and slaughtered most of my show rabbits and guniea-pigs, she remembers that nothing is aloud to go near them.
Thansk for your response
best wishes
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Hi Luke.
Your dog did no wrong. I work my dogs and they are 100% with MY animals, but anyone elses be it a Cat or anything else, they would kill it. Two nights ago a Fox set off our security light, not being able to see it, my Terriers went out, and the Fox escaped by the skin of its teeth, my eldest dog had a mouth full of fur! Its natural instinct and nothing more. I bet there are hundreds of people on here will tell you their dogs chase Cats from their garden, its their garden and they will chase out intruders. Prey drive has little to do with it, a Labrador would do it!

You must have control when your dogs are out in public, I can stop mine with one word, but on your property its very different.
Dawn.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >