View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2005, 12:05 PM
The scooters definitely have advantages. There is a man near my mum and dad who has one and comes up their road everyday. There is a long steep hill on the way up to their house and he manages no problem.

Another lady that keeps horses near them has one too, however hers isn't powerful enough to get up the hill so she has to get someone to drive her

Graeme
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2005, 01:45 PM
The other thing you could do, is to check on the web for average prices of mobility scooters before they visit you. That way you will have some idea of whether or not you are getting a bargain.

Also, give the local CAB a ring to see if they know of anything dodgy with that company, can't hurt to check
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Hi Ian - this sounds like one massive marketing scam - isn't a legitimate prize suppose to be free? Pretty certain it's against competition standard's rules - but will have to investigate.

Cheeky so in so's I'd tell them to take a flying leap out of my house and preferably down a cl*ff

Maybe try a bargain on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...389083768&rd=1

Probably an awful model I've selected but have a browse and don't commit until you feel 100% confident.

I really hate to see people trying take advantage - mean monkeys
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks everybody,

I have just had another phone call of the firm coming out tomorrow afternoon, somehow between this morning and now the rep who was going to come has now got sicknes and diarrhea (sp) so he is now coming on Tuesday afternoon. Looking a bit fishy to me!

Any way, I haven't made my mind up yet but I think I may well stay with the local man and try and barter a better deal on the warranty.

I'll keep you posted.

Ian
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2005, 05:00 PM
It sounds a little like the story that Esther Rantzen told on TV about these self-adjusting beds - they never quoted a price, and the rep's job was to look about your house to see what he thought you could afford, before any price was mentioned. Even now, when you see their adverts, they still don't specify a price, not even "about £XXX", so it's a bit of a "pig in a poke".

A bit of a sniff about the Net looks like a good idea, indeed!

Snorri
(If it looks too good to be true, probably it is)
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2005, 06:53 PM
I've been on the net and found some prices for different makes & models, The cheapest decent one with 4 wheels was about £700 upto a max of £1800, so the one that is coming tomorrow, will need to be top of the range scooter or he will have to give me a good reason to buy it.

Snorri - them beds, my mam entered a draw for one of them beds, she got a phone call a few month's after, they said they wanted to come and take a photo of my mum for there promotion and that she had won a bed.

After a few hours my brain was still working overtime, I didn't like the thought of them taking a photo, so I got onto the web and researched the firm, they had about 145 complaints about the reps wouldn't go.

So I phoned them back and said that my mum was unwell and they couldn't come, the lady on the phone said "oh the rep has already left and we can't get in touch with him" So I waited for when he was going to come and waited outside, when he came I said that I was her carer and that the lady of the house had gone into hospital ( I didn't tell him I was her son) he said "Oh I'll have to use her phone to tell the office" I said "sorry but I can't let you in, it's against policy" he said "it's only a flipping phone call" I again said sorry, he went storming off to his car slammed the door and took off like a mad man. Then the phone went three times in two hours. You can guess who it was, and it wasn't answered.

Ian
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Ian don't want to sound cynical but I agree with the others this is a classic selling ploy
When they come they will most probably say if you sign there and then they will give you a big discount . BE VERY CAREFUL remember under the law there is a seven day cooling off period but if I was you I would not sign anything without a 48 hour break to consider things. I would look up the local dealers in the yellow pages (yel on the net) and get quotes from them all. Then you start to bargin, you play one against the other on price.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Hi Mini, that's the first thing I am going to tell him when he comes in, "I won't be signing anything today" and I am going to play him against some prices I have got off the net, (I have printed them off)

I agree I think it is a total con, but until he comes you never know

Ian
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Hello, just an update. Well the local man has been and I have opted for him, the machine he has brought is nearly a top spec machine, it appears to what's known as a class 3 which means it is allowed on the road. It is a tad slower but who cares. It is in immaculate condition, it will be serviced and fully ready to go when I get it. I couldn't get him to increase the warranty on it but he has thrown in a years insurance with it, starting after the three months are up. It also quite a heavy machine and the ride comfort is beautiful, it has fully sprung suspension on it too.

So I am getting it on the 4th July, (Counting down the days now)

On a personal note he has also been through the wars, three years ago he had to have a coronary bypass done! and then a few months ago he had a angina attack! coming out of a customers house, and he's the same age as me, we went to school together.

Ian
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Sounds good Ian the other thing about the local man is you know where to go for redress. With these big companies who sell by home visit, very often once the item is sold your hear no more of them and if you have a problem they don't want to know.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2