Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-06-2005, 08:10 AM

Guantanamo Bay

This is a hot topic just want to know what every1 feels about the prison at Guantanamo Bay.. Do you think it be should shut down and the 600+ people that have been held theyre should to put on trial or let go or do you think its ok and that they are the wrost of the wrost in terms of mankind and should be kept there for how ever long America see's fit.

I am total against holding people without trial and think the base should be shut down after all that has come to light (torture,deaths,regilious abuse etc) the place should be shut down i think America has known for a long time that 90% of the people they are holding theyre are innocent of any major crime the most terriable crime they most likely commited was defending theyre country against a invading army. They have so far resleased about 100people all turning out to be totally innocent to even the most simple crime, they were kept chained to the floor in a 8x6 cell without contact with an other person for 3/4years deprived of sunlight proper food and washing facilities given not even basic human rights such as legal aid. Many peoples families werenot and still are not aware that theyre family members are being held there.Also they have been given a Illegal status of "enemy combatant" just to make sure genva conventions do not apply to them so basically they have less rights than an animal while being there. Also many have been killed while being held there and since it is totally run by the military it is very easy to cover it up. I think they should now put up or shut up theyve had 4years and if they still dont know what these people are gulity of its time to let them go home 2theyre families.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Every resonable person must surely be against anyone being held without trial, to do so is a violation of their basic human rights.

Every person no matter what they have done is entitled to a fair trial and the chance to refute allegations.

The act of capturing and confining these people will have further the hatred and racial tensions between western countries and our eastern neighbours and whatever happens now you cannot erase the damage that has been done, I despair at the actions of those who supposedly represent my views.

I can foresee no favourable outcome to these events, the resentment and bitterness will remain even if these men are released... or given the belated trial that is their due.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2005, 10:35 AM
ive never heard of this prison?
Kerrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2005, 10:40 AM
ive never heard of it aswell
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by staffiesrule
ive never heard of it aswell
wow really? its on the news everyday and has been for almost the last 3years!

here is an amnesty international link ive found gives a bit of a background about whats going on there

http://web.amnesty.org/pages/guantanamobay-index-eng
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Guantanamo Bay is probably one of the most famous prisons in the world, maybe second only to Alcatraz. It's actually a US naval base and is in Cuba. The 'prison' part is like a massive detention centre and the whole base acts for Homeland Security - holding migrants, suspected terrorists and traffickers. It's main defence capabilities are to monitor and defend the international shipping channel around Guantanamo Bay.

Edited to say: for the prison part, the UK 'equivalent' is Belmarsh prison - holding Category A prisoners and suspected terrorists. It's where Ian Huntly ('Soham killer') is held.
Alohacorso
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-06-2005, 10:54 AM
My only comment on this issue is that I agree that everyone has rights and should be treated fairly and humanely. Other than that...there are two sides to every story.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2005, 12:31 PM
My only feeling is about these prisoners held there, is the fact that surely, the US Govnt. don't just pick people off the streets and put them in there? I mean, are you trying to tell me, that they didn't do their CIA investigations first and whatever other investigations they deemed necessary, to capture these particular people in the first place? They were attacked by the most sinister mob there is in this day and age, i.e. the terrorists, so in my view, these people must be in there for a very good reason as they have spent millions of pounds seeking these people out and capturing them, surely? I doubt very much imo that these people are law abiding citizens like you and I, and were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yes, I know that happens, but not to the extent of the numbers of people held there. What about the suspected terrorists that we have found in our own Country plotting the most terrible acts upon our citizens, maybe they have been put there too, we don't know do we?

There is a huge undercover high tech operation going on under or noses against these terrorists and in my view this is where they are being sent, and they can rot there as far as I'm concerned if that is the case. Just supposing the boot was on the other foot and it was our Country that was targeted for an attack, do you think you would feel the same way against those terrorists who carried out the attack as you feel now about them existing in a similar place in the UK? We only know what the media is telling us about the place anyway, so how do we know for sure, that they haven't actually had any trial, be it a torturous one, out of which the Govnt. have obtained the information they want out of them, and thereby holding them in there for fear of future atroscities (?sp.) I'm just not so sure they are in fact innocent in my eyes - sorry, but that's the way I feel about it all.
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
My only feeling is about these prisoners held there, is the fact that surely, the US Govnt. don't just pick people off the streets and put them in there? I mean, are you trying to tell me, that they didn't do their CIA investigations first and whatever other investigations they deemed necessary, to capture these particular people in the first place? They were attacked by the most sinister mob there is in this day and age, i.e. the terrorists, so in my view, these people must be in there for a very good reason as they have spent millions of pounds seeking these people out and capturing them, surely? I doubt very much imo that these people are law abiding citizens like you and I, and were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yes, I know that happens, but not to the extent of the numbers of people held there. What about the suspected terrorists that we have found in our own Country plotting the most terrible acts upon our citizens, maybe they have been put there too, we don't know do we?

There is a huge undercover high tech operation going on under or noses against these terrorists and in my view this is where they are being sent, and they can rot there as far as I'm concerned if that is the case. Just supposing the boot was on the other foot and it was our Country that was targeted for an attack, do you think you would feel the same way against those terrorists who carried out the attack as you feel now about them existing in a similar place in the UK? We only know what the media is telling us about the place anyway, so how do we know for sure, that they haven't actually had any trial, be it a torturous one, out of which the Govnt. have obtained the information they want out of them, and thereby holding them in there for fear of future atroscities (?sp.) I'm just not so sure they are in fact innocent in my eyes - sorry, but that's the way I feel about it all.
Well we have had i think 6britons released from this place all captured due to so called "CIA oprations" the same CIA that told us Saddam had WMD's btw and all 4turned out 2be TOTALLY INNOCENT so law obiding citizens just like me and you at the end of it all. Also would like to add the 100 or so that have so far been released have all been with out charge so they to have been totally innocent law obiding people. as for the people that are theyre im sure some are gulity and if they are they should be put on trial and they should be given humans rights and treated like people. The people that have been released have told of things such as being tied down on the floor in the sun for days on end, loud music being played in theyre cells to deprive them of sleep, have dogs set on them, being beaten and humilated in front of female soliders,being urinated on my soliders,injected with God knows what etc. Theyve had most of them locked up for 3years now if they infact who they say they are "the worst of the worst" lets see them put on trial and given the death penalty! also untill last year they were 4 people held at the base that were under then age of 16 1child being 11 at the time of his arrest(he threw a rock at the US convoy) im not sure what kind of 11year old he must have been if he had 2be shipped half way across the world and put in such conditions. I think they should put these people in court and give them a fair trial with the things they are being held there with bearing in mind 90% of them dont even know why they are there in the 1st place.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Hmmmm, didn't know about all those terrible things being done to them, but again, I have only seen the pics on the t.v. for which the soldiers have been suitably reprimanded for. Who is telling us all this then, again the media, so how do we know all this to be true, apart from the released prisoner's stories? If these released prisoners are against the U.S. Govn and ours, then are they not capable of telling porkies then about their treatment and conditions?? Christ, when you think about it, you can go and sue someone for tapping you on the shoulder nowadays can't you, so why haven't these released people gone to a lawyer to sue the Govn. over their alleged mistreatment? The US Govnt. were up in arms about those pictures and they weren't half as bad as the things you have mentioned above are they, so surely they could do something about it now that they've been set free and proved innocent - yes?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >