Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
I got mine today from lloyds chemist, it was originally £45 and now down to £15, must admit I tried it a couple of times and I've felt alot better than I've felt for weeks!
for you xxx
LittleLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi there,

Some interseting replies here, so am unsure how you are using these devices

The idea is to build up use gradually so that you can monitor for any potential deterioration in other symptoms associated with nerve pain (Sciatica included). This includes loss/change in functioning of bladder/bowel, numbess, altered sensation (such as hypersensitivity, the wrong sensation-like a feeling of cold when you lightly touch the area with a neuttral temperature or reduced sensation), skin rash or irritation, weak muscles. You should also never use a TENs machine when bathing, sleeping, driving or operating machinary.

The duration you should use it for depends on a few factors: How long it takes to achieve a reduction in your pain, how long the pain is abated for, where you are placing the pads, how many pads you are using at once (2 or 4), which settings you are using: continuous, pulsed or biphasic; how many HZ you have it set to; and how you determine your level of intensity. With Intensity you are generally looking to aim for 50% above the level you first feel a sensation from having the machine turned on. You may get muscle activity as a side effect from its use but if the intention is to use the machine for pain relieving effects, muscle activity is not the aim.

I am assumming the chemist who provided the TENs machine did not explain how to use it Sorry but I do have a bit of a bug-bare with any company who sell equipment to people without providing any education on how to use the damn thing

I personally love it when a TENs machine works well for someone, it can be like a ray of light. I do however hope that you are seeking other support such as physiotherapy to address the cause of your Sciatica and prevent possible re-occurance.

L
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 06:08 AM
Physio with my GP? I will probably be dead and buried before my Dr decides to do anything like that. I had a bad wrist for over a year and it took them 15 months to get me an appointment at the hospital to have it checked out, by the time the appointment arrived it had got better on it's own, but I still had over a year of suffering.

When I had my acupuncture last week, the Dr did attach a TEN's machine to the needles and it did help, but only for a very short time.

The machine I'm using has 2 pads, setting No. 2 - it goes up to 8, and use it on B setting - which is Tapping (fast) but it certainly has given me some relief, last night I slept for a whole 4 hours, the most I've slept in one night for weeks!!
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 03:56 PM
i gotr mine throu the hospital to start with through the pain clinic they showed me how to use it and where i could wear it as mine is knee problems bit i could put it on my knees or on my back in an area that would help. it did help alot so when i had to take it back spoke to them and gave me the info for the one i have which is the same as the one i got off them and i got cheap as i on benifit no tax. i use mine all the time it does not work as good now but still helps a bit. i think if it was not for the TENS i would not be here as i could not cope.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 03:58 PM
so pleased you got a good few hours sleep it always helps if you can sleep, wish i was sleeping i have not slept for 3 weeks i have been lucky if i get 20mins a night so keep at it girl and rest while you can. xxxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
Ok, 3 months on and I'm still suffering (badly) with my sciatica, so decided today to buy a TENS machine. Used it this morning with slight improvement, but on the instructions it says only to be used 1-2 times a day....does anybody know why??

To get even the slightest bit of relief has been great.
Not sure why hun....but Patrick used his for 4 days and his back has been brilliant. Think you'll be surprised how good it is. xxxx
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Well I have to say it's been like a miracle! Used it 4 times in total yesterday, 3 times over night and twice today, only had to take my pain killers once when I got up and I've been moving so much easier with hardly any pain, now I don't know if it's just coincidence or the TEN's machine working, but it's been like a new lifeline, hoping to get a few hours sleep tonight!
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 08:56 PM
my ex had one. he used to use it all day. when he was being exreamly horrible to me (which was 99% of the time) i used to get my own back on him. i used to have to put the pads on his back for him. and if u place the pad on a spot LOL it really hurts apparently (innocent look here ) well he shouldnt of been really violent to me should he.
so im being serious check that theres no broken skin of any sort.
im not sure if i could us one. got stents fitted.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2