Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 05:32 PM
hello,
have you tried petal cleanse - its a product that treats the dog itself and upholstery etc and may help alleviate your mums symptoms.
#
I am really allergic to long haired breeds in that way tight chest and watery eyes, and when we got bruno I was allergic and still am if he licks me too much, but I think over time your body just adjusts to it..

Petal cleanse worked for us when Luca was born and showing same signs as me re:being licked and hair.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm really sorry looks like they get on great and he is beautiful too!

I havent read all the way through and this may be a really daft suggestion but has he had a bath since he came to you?

Worth a try?

and the stuff that Brundog recomended, sine you have til the woman gets back from holiday anyway.
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Thats a shame that he will not be able to stay with you but i hope that you can find him the right home
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Oh this must be a heartbreaking situation for you. I have 3 cats and am allergic to the one - No real reason why!! But my symptoms are nasal, so I can use a nasal spray if I need. I hope that you can figure something out to find a way to keep him. He is a beautiful dog! Good luck.
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Really sorry you are having to let this lovely boy go. Both dogs were so happy together and he looks a right character...I really hoped you would manage to work things out...no wonder you feel gutted,I feel gutted for you xx
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
hello,
have you tried petal cleanse - its a product that treats the dog itself and upholstery etc and may help alleviate your mums symptoms.
#
I am really allergic to long haired breeds in that way tight chest and watery eyes, and when we got bruno I was allergic and still am if he licks me too much, but I think over time your body just adjusts to it..

Petal cleanse worked for us when Luca was born and showing same signs as me re:being licked and hair.
Oh, thanks for that... whereabouts would I get that? I've never heard of it before...

Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I'm really sorry looks like they get on great and he is beautiful too!

I havent read all the way through and this may be a really daft suggestion but has he had a bath since he came to you?

Worth a try?

and the stuff that Brundog recomended, sine you have til the woman gets back from holiday anyway.
He hasn't had one since he came to me, but the woman who is rehoming him gave him one the other week...

Originally Posted by emma47 View Post
Thats a shame that he will not be able to stay with you but i hope that you can find him the right home
Thanks

Originally Posted by Manyana13 View Post
Oh this must be a heartbreaking situation for you. I have 3 cats and am allergic to the one - No real reason why!! But my symptoms are nasal, so I can use a nasal spray if I need. I hope that you can figure something out to find a way to keep him. He is a beautiful dog! Good luck.
Thanks, if it were me that was allergic to him, i would just suffer through it but i can't really ask my mum to do that... unless i can find something that alleviates her symptoms...

Originally Posted by brophy View Post
Really sorry you are having to let this lovely boy go. Both dogs were so happy together and he looks a right character...I really hoped you would manage to work things out...no wonder you feel gutted,I feel gutted for you xx
Thanks... I am so gutted... i was so happy when my mum agreed to letting him stay, and then that has to happen
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 10:48 PM
I would give the bath a go just in case it's something on his coat rather than his coat (if that makes sense) that is causing the sensitivity.

You never know and it can't hurt to try.
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2011, 10:05 AM
My OH is asthmatic and is allergic to some dogs more than others.
I find when he starts reacting to mine, I give him a good brushing out outside and a bath to get the dirt and dust out of his coat and I also hoover everyday. He takes anti histamines aswell. When we first moved in he reacted like your mum to my dog but brushing him a couple of times a week and hoovering everyday, he got used to him after about a month.

You could see if your mum is willing to keep him for awhile to see if she gets used to him?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2011, 12:47 PM
I would try bathing him and a good brush, hoover etc as it may be something on his coat from when he was bathed before you got him...some products can set off asthma etc
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Thanks everyone.

I sat down and had a good talk with my parents today, and we decided he can't stay

It really isn't what I want, and I am totally gutted about it, but I need to do what is best for my mum. If it was a skin allergy, then we would have tried various things to deal with it but because it is affecting her chest and breathing, made worse by asthma (or caused by the asthma) it just isn't fair on her. If it were me, I would suffer through it to keep him, but I can't ask my mum to do that... she wasn't the one who wanted Paddy, and while she loves dogs (once she gets to know them) she wouldn't choose to have one herself.

I feel terrible for both Paddy and my mum. Paddy would've had a loving home here, and now his future is uncertain, and I think he will end up with someone who IMO isn't suitable for him. I feel sorry for my mum too because she was good enough to allow me to keep Paddy, and then had to suffer for it. She is great with Paddy though, and has become really attached to him, so I really think she will miss him too.

If he goes to the home I think he will end up going to, then I will still see him lots and be walking him, so I can keep everyone updated on his progress. I think Jake will miss having a dog around, so hopefully at some point in the near future, when I am much nearer to moving out, we will start looking into a new addition.

Thanks again everyone I know some people will be critical about the decision, but it isn't one that has been made lightly, and we had to do what is best for my mum.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >