Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 08:31 PM
What a horrid situation,

I would try the rescue's and get a vet check done and if all is clear and rescue can't take him then I'm afraid I would pts.

I hate using what if's but what if a young child was attacked seriously whilst you were out on a walk with him ?

I have been in this position myself with a rescue dog,I contacted breeder's,contacted rescues and spoke and got advice from them,I had two options,to send him to rescue where he would never be rehomed and would live out his life in kennels or to pts.
I took the kindest option and pts.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Perhaps one of these people who are not living with a dog who has just attacked their child, would like to take the dog in then? Having had 2 Dobermanns myself and done Dobe rescue for several years, I know for sure it shouldnt be rehomed, it would be dreadfully irresponsible to do so IMO.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Well having been in a similar situation I know it can be turned around. In the meantime use a muzzle when walking and keep child and dog separated and contact the Dobermann rescues.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I must admitt i was quite shocked and upset to read so many members say that the only option was to put the dog down..This such a personal choice i know but of course there is hope for the dog with time and care, plus no one knows why the dog snapped and that to me shows this isnt just an evil attack because lets face it if it was the kiddie wouldnt have walked away with just a scratch to the face.
I think what people have said is that if it was their dog they would have him PTS..no oen has told the poster what to do.

Personally I take the view if I own a dog, he /she is my responsibility, and as such it is down to me to deal with it. I would never pass a problem on to others...specially a dog that attacks humans.

Dogs dont do "evil" attacks they attack , usually through fear or pain, saying it was not a real attack because the child walked away with a scratch to his face does not make it any better, the reason it wasn't any worse was simple, the mothers was there to pull the dog off, yet the dog continued to try to get to the 3 yr old... you can wrap it up how ever you like, but that dog would not have house room, in my home again, and it would not be passed on for someone else to deal with either..

As said earlier, my dog my responsibility

If it eases the posters conscience then see a vet first to se if any health issues caused it...but then what, what if the results are negative or positive , can she then trust this dog ever again to be round her child.

If no health issues and she passes it on, then some point in the future it attcks again, this time doing a little more than scrathing someones face.. how would you feel then
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Perhaps one of these people who are not living with a dog who has just attacked their child, would like to take the dog in then? Having had 2 Dobermanns myself and done Dobe rescue for several years, I know for sure it shouldnt be rehomed, it would be dreadfully irresponsible to do so IMO.
I get the idea your having a dig at peoples opinions by saying that! And i would hardly call a scratch to the face an attack (or if thats what you want to call it a minor attack) The fact of the matter is not one of us know why that dog attacked not even the OPer who owns the dog! So imo would be bang out of order to PTS before working out why the dog suddenly turned or what the child did ect ect! Putting a dog to sleep might be an easy option but not always for the best..
Rehoming the dog would not irresponsible at all imo .. there will be people out there that the OPer could try and find before putting to sleep..

I spose because we have took on a dog far more aggressive than this dog i know it can be done .. or maybe its because i like to think there is some one out there right for every dog that needs guiding into being a perfect pet.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-05-2010, 08:45 PM
we took in a dog once she is only a toy breed (yes i know thats very small compared to the breed we are talking about here but still)..she bite, snapped, barked, flung her self at people in our house for 2years, she had to be locked in the kitchen when friends visted ect BUT giving up on her was never an option for us..we have now owned her for nearly 4years and she is a I guess what im saying is get this dog into a home with

).
And with respect you cant compare a Doberman to a toy breed that attacks

Along with the fact you are talking about visitors, yes you can lock a dog away from visitors, but not your family or young children.

Tell me would you have kept her if lets say , she flung herself at your 3yr old daughter/sister every time she saw her, or even once for that matter.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by kitty View Post
the next thing I knew the dog was on top of my son, barking and growing, I struggled to drag him off, all the time he was lunging and pulling back to get to my son....Whilst I was dragging him off, it worried me that he was trying to get back and carry on and I could just tell that if he had been really biting him I would have never been able to stop him.
This shocked me, and I found it quite a bad attack, not just a 'nip'
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Well having been in a similar situation I know it can be turned around. In the meantime use a muzzle when walking and keep child and dog separated and contact the Dobermann rescues.
Wasnt your dobe a youngster? Not a mature male? Did she attack a childs face?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 08:49 PM
I get the idea your having a dig at peoples opinions by saying that! And i would hardly call a scratch to the face an attack (or if thats what you want to call it a minor attack) The fact of the matter is not one of us know why that dog attacked not even the OPer who owns the dog! So imo would be bang out of order to PTS before working out why the dog suddenly turned or what the child did ect ect! Putting a dog to sleep might be an easy option but not always for the best..
Rehoming the dog would not irresponsible at all imo .. there will be people out there that the OPer could try and find before putting to sleep..

I spose because we have took on a dog far more aggressive than this dog i know it can be done .. or maybe its because i like to think there is some one out there right for every dog that needs guiding into being a perfect pet.
ISnt the lady VERY lucky she was there then, otherwise the "scratch" could of been much worse. As I said, its NOT your child been attacked, its easy to judge from the outside. I can guarantee that anyone who was thinking of having a dog wouldnt dream of taking on a mature animal with a history of biting children.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-05-2010, 08:50 PM

You took in a toy dog, there is a huge difference , given the nature to your far worse case, would you be saying the same if it was a huge dog, such as the dog in question.

Whilst I was dragging him off, it worried me that he was trying to get back and carry on

You call that a minor attack, nip!!!!!!!
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 47 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »